Lowrance Elite 5 DSI

Kyle46N

Cadet
Could use some help. My fish finder/chartplotter has been cutting off when I am running the boat. It's progressively happened more frequently until the other day, it cut off for good. Using a multimeter, I've got power at my console, and the only connection between that and the fish finder is the attached photo. I'm pretty sure it's that cylindrical thing in the middle. Can't find the name of it. In any case, I'm not seeing it with Lowrance parts, and if it comes with the whole transducer setup, none of the product images show this thing. Can anyone shed any light on this? I guess another question, whatever it is, do I need it? Can I just rewire without it? Thanks for bearing with me on this, I know I sound ignorant.

Attachments

• photo219887.jpg
    photo219887.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
that thing is for capturing noise that may be coupling on the power line (choke).

That's not your problem.

If I was you I would check continuity on that cable... check those crimps too...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I see four possible points of failure on that cable assembly alone. Counting the mating connectors, you have at least 8 points of failure between the power supply and the unit.

Kyle46N

Cadet
Thanks! I am definitely going to put new connectors on, but wanted to figure out what that cylinder was first. Good to know. I really appreciate the help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you own and know how to use a simple ohms meter, you can very easily check the cable quickly to verify it is working. And even if you don't have a meter you can even take a little 12 volt light bulb and see if it lights on the end of the cable to verify it works. That blobby thingy is merely a noise trap for RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) which usually happens with an engine is running. So if it isn't open, power should be available to the Unit..

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
How do you like the unit? I mean when it was working did you like it.I am going to install the same system in my boat this weekend and was curious on others opinion of it.

Kyle46N

Cadet
How do you like the unit? I mean when it was working did you like it.I am going to install the same system in my boat this weekend and was curious on others opinion of it.

Wellllll, before the past couple of days, I would have told you I really liked the unit. But thanks to all of the help on this original question, I've narrowed the problem down to the unit. Using a multimeter, I found I had power all the way to the plug in to the back of the unit. And it still won't turn on. No corrosion at the plug site either. I called Lowrance, as this unit is 3 years old, and only had a one year warranty. They basically said I can send it in, and if it's damaged I can have a replacement sent to me at 50% of the MSRP. In this case it would be the Elite 5 HDI, as the Elite 5 DSI is no longer made by Lowrance. I enjoyed the unit while it was working....fairly easy to use, and did everything I wanted it to do. But kinda disspointed in the longevity.....only 3 years.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Before you install a new one check your charging system. Those units will shut down if they sense high voltage.

Kyle46N

Cadet
Before you install a new one check your charging system. Those units will shut down if they sense high voltage.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I don't have a charging system on this setup, as my console, where the power the Lowrance comes from, is from a single 12 volt starting battery. To clarify, it's a brand new battery, so I haven't charged it, other than just running the outboard. The voltage I was reading from the multimeter at the plug, was 11-12 volts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can't actually say about your particular unit, but a lot of them have inside fuse mounted on the PC boards. And if it blew, it will not do anything. But never working on that model, I honestly can't say for certain...