Another "impossible" bilge pump replacement

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
2007 Tahoe Q6, bilge pump sits DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH the motor (4.3L MPI). How do I replace it? I can only see the pump from one angle with as much of my body as possible squeezed into the engine compartment. I can't even get a clear picture of where the hose is running as the built in compartment to the left of the motor obscures my view. The Tahoe appears to me to be one big molded piece of fiberglass so it doesn't seem there is really a way to get to the pump. Has anyone here completed this project on a Tahoe? I've read other threads for other brands of boats where the back seat comes out and exposes the area under the motor but that doesn't seem to be the case with the tahoe. Any ideas? My thought is to mount one of the vertical surface of the bilge as low as possible. Is that likely my best option? Recommend brands too if you'd like. The boat is 20'6" long but that includes the swim platform so probably about an 18 foot boat. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW gt2003, I can't even imagine how to replace such a pump. Obviously they didn't engineer it to work on. I can't even begin to tell you how to go about it. Other with similar issues should chime in with their options... It sounds like the only way to get to that pump, is to remove or at least lift the engine. But to do that, you have to disconnect everything and that is ridiculous in my thinking... :noidea:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If there is no way and some boats are impossible, how about just putting a new pump in a place you can get to? It doesn't have to under the motor and some water might not get pumped out, but it's far better than no pump at all.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
That was kind of what I figured I might have to do. I just thought maybe there was a solution I didn't know about.. I can't see how anyone, even someone very small in stature, could get in and around the engine compartment to do much of anything! Thanks

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
With a very large pair of channel locks and some, uhm, strong convincing, I got it out. It only had a 500 GPH mayfair pump in it. The plan now is to replace the 2 way switch on the console with a 3 way switch then wire in a large bilge with an automatic function on it. I've done very little wiring that is involved at all so I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions later!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
If there is no way and some boats are impossible, how about just putting a new pump in a place you can get to? It doesn't have to under the motor and some water might not get pumped out, but it's far better than no pump at all.

I'm now planning to mount it as low as possible on the "front wall" of the engine compartment. That's maybe 18 inches farther forward in the boat than the other one but it is accessible and it is still almost as low as the other one. I'm hoping to never need it but will test it before each trip to ensure it's working. The replacement will be much easier next time. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mounted the pump using epoxy, ran wires then mounted the switch up front. It works! Hope it never gets tested but if it does I'm confident it will do what it needs to do. Thanks for the input.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry I didn't get back in the thread, GT. Toward the front might leave a little water in the bilge, but still way better than no working pump. Hope you never need it!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just saw this thread now. In the past,I've taken and made a mounting bracket out of aluminum flat iron. Bend to the shape you need to mount pump,and float if required,long enough to slide under the motor as low as possible.then attach the bracket to a stringer or accesable location.