Battery question.

bbwiggins

Recruit
I purchased a 1997 Fisher Freedom 200 pontoon a year ago and it came with an old battery. Not sure what the year of production of the battery was since the month and year weren't notched out. We hooked it up yesterday, the stereo ran fine while we were working on it. Went to start the motor and nothing. Not even a small crank. The stereo then started to turn off and on after we tried to start the motor. Is my battery smoked? Should I replace the with same size? 800 CCA and 1000 MCA. I know zero about batteries. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
May just need charging. But if it sat for a long time in a discharged state it is likely toast. Are the cables clean a2nd tight.

bbwiggins

Recruit
I always have it on a float charger. Cables are clean and tight. With the radio shutting on and off like that, do you think its the battery? Or something else. Radio worked fine before we tried to start it and only listening to radio for about half an hour.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you had it on a trickle charger and it went down after a half hour of the radio it is probably toast, It was probably already very low and when you tried to crank the motor it pulled the last little bit out of it and then the radio wouldn't work either. Take it out and go to advance or autozone and get it tested.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before discarding your battery, Charge it up to full charge and then take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it. If it passes, use it. If not, replace it. But you'll never really know until it is tested properly... JMHO!