House electrical

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
My 1995 Rinker has shore power. And an electrical panel. Does this panel only control the 110 volt? For example, yesterday, the refrigerator was running from 12 VDC. But on the panel, the switch was off. This leads me to believe the panel only controls the 110 VAC side. Just looking for confirmation without tearing into the wiring. Thanks.

PS-When I turn the main to "on" does this disable the 12VDC to the house items? (fridge, micro, lights)

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That depends on what the electrical system includes. Some shore power systems include an inverter, battery charger, and both 12 vdc and 120 vac systems. When not connected to shore power the 120 vac circuits may be powered from the battery bank via the inverter. When on shore power the battery bank still powers 12 volt items but the internal charger keeps the battery bank up to snuff. So the answer to your question is -- "it depends".

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
On my boat the 12vdc and 120ac are separate. The only place they touch is the 120vac charger for the battery and the power to the fridge (connected to 12vdc and 120ac). If shore power is not available, none of the 120 stuff works, There is an electric panel for the 12vdc and a separate one for the 120vac.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
On my boat the 12vdc and 120ac are separate. The only place they touch is the 120vac charger for the battery and the power to the fridge (connected to 12vdc and 120ac). If shore power is not available, none of the 120 stuff works, There is an electric panel for the 12vdc and a separate one for the 120vac.

Yachtsman1304

Seaman
My boat is set up so the the fridge (when not on shore power) and the automatic bilge pump always have power. When I am connected to shore power and my main switch and my fridge switch are on, it runs off of 110v.