Installing a am/fm radio

CO_Medic

Recruit
Hi all,
I am going to be installing a new stereo and 2 6.5 speakers in a boat I am restoring. I am considering putting in an amp. Anyone have advice on amp size or if putting one in is even worth it. The boat is a 1990 Maxum 2400scr with a 7.4 merc. Any advice is welcome.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Worth it is based only on your desires...

Personally I feel that there are very few situations where loud stereo's on the water don't bother others since sound carries many times further on the water.... A simple stereo that puts out 50 watts or more should be more than enough for most situations.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
The only time a lot of watts is necessary is if you want to hear the music over the noise of your engine. The amount of watts depends on the boat. If you want music while you are on the dock or at anchor, you will need far less wattage. As previously noted sound will carry a long way across the water. Unless you are sure that everyone in visual range likes the same kind of music as you do, do them all a favor and keep the number of watts within reason. Nothing disturbs a nice day on the water like some yahoo who thinks that 400 watts of sound is a good idea and who can be heard by everyone within half a mile (or more).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Let me see if I can answer your question. I don't see any circumstance needing any type amp with two 6.5" speakers ever. Unless you have plans to install bigger or more speakers, an amp will not work long with two 6.5" speakers. Those speakers will burn out their voice coils real quick... So I would use whatever amp comes with your head unit and happy boating. Now if you're after ear splitting sound, you are going to need a lot different speakers and more bigger speakers as well. Then you can use an amp to drive them... JMHO!