bilge pump works on auto but

glennon

Recruit
my switch for manual on /off only lights up when turned on but doesn't engage the bilge.
It worked last year. auto and on off. Im using a two way switch. think it shoud be three but the two ways fit my boat.
since it did work auto and on off last year what am i missing. I checked fuses and a new switch.
what should i try????
thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you checked the switch and it test okay, then the only other possibility is a corrode wire or broken connection somewhere. There are no other reasons. If everything worked correctly last year, and the switch is good, it has to be a broken wire or a corroded connection either at the switch or at the pump...period!

Stackmoney86

Cadet
I am with, gm280, it is in your wiring. I tried to Google a basic wiring schematic for that pump. Coming from aviation and automotive electrical so I am not a guru with marine equipment. Still researching them.

The wiring schematic should be where the pump has constant power where the float makes a complete circuit that turns it on. You checked this and showed that it still works. That part of the wiring is solid.

You said you changed out the switch and did not solve the problem. Like gm stated you issue is within the wiring itself.

Could you provide pictures of your wiring setup? And also do you have a multimeter to do the tests?

I would do voltage checks and Ohm's checks on the wiring. You're not suppose to use automotive wire in marine applications due to it could be problematic down the road due to vibrations(copper strains break VERY easily).

Also are you comfortable doing the electrical checks, and familiar with electrical?

Last edited: