Help with 50LB Minn Kota Bow Mount

Hey guys,

I have found a pretty good deal on a Minn Kota Bowmount 50lb thrust with the Co-pilot attatchment, But wasnt 110% sure if it was going to work out for me, I have attatched a photo of the Motor as well as my Boat..

Main concerns were Shaft length (48in) and if it were strong enough to move my boat.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo219565.jpg
    photo219565.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219566.jpg
    photo219566.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 0

Expidia

Commander
Go to minnkota.com and they give you the specs from the water line to where the unit sits on your bow for proper shaft length. Then measure your bow to the waterline. If the shaft isn't at least a certain amount under the water line it will keep popping out of the water while its running when there are rolling waves.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Measure the mounting point on the boat to the water line and add one foot. You can always buy a longer shaft. They make them up to 60 inches.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see pound rating for trolling motors all the time. But that amount of output is only on the highest setting and a totally top off battery charge. But I also think, how many times have I ever used my trolling motors over the years on the max setting. I honestly can't remember with the exception of turning the boat around to go back over an area I liked. But once the boat was turned around, I switched back to a mere lowest output setting to fish. If you enjoy trolling for fish, that is a different issue. But even then max speed will probably be faster then you really want to troll once the boat is in motion. But that is just my opinion...

The only problem I've seen with that, Is actually determining the waterline. I've looked on-line and have only found equations in which I cannot find the dimensions for (eg. total weight which I am unable to find online)

Could I simply measure how deep the Transom is and add about 5"? (Stern would sit lower in water then bow, so 5" is at random)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You could but that still is not an accurate measurement. If there happens to be a waterline mark on the bow of the boat measure that. Why not splash the boat and measure it. Then you know. If you already own the motor then mount it and see. If it doesn't work, sell it and buy what you need or simply buy a new shaft. Also keep in mind that the motor can be slid up or down by releasing the collar so 48 inch will likely be long enough. Boat hulls and equipment are all very different so using a formula to calculate where a boat might sit is just not worth the time, subject to gross error and just not as simple and accurate as using a good old fashioned roller from the bow. The boats in the two pictures look like they would both sit about the same in the water. Notice that the boat with the motor could have that motor dropped another foot before the head hits the stop collar. If the motor is right for the boat its currently on, it will be fine for yours.