1975 70hp evinrude fuse blows

regal 182

Cadet
I have a 1975 70 hp evinrude.after 3 or 4 hours of start stop the little 20 amp fuse by the solenoid blew.ive already replaced the rectifier and woder what could cause this.i rtead somewhere it could be the power pack but I am not sure..is there a way to test the power pack?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Normally that fuse is there to protect the ignition parts from damage. I'd look in the other direction for a short or lose wire.

wrench 3

Commander
According to my book that fuse feeds the key switch and from there to the choke, starter solenoid and whatever accessories that you mite have hooked up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Does the fuse blow when you just turn the switch to RUN ( not START).

regal 182

Cadet
I think I figured it out when I push the choke in the fuse blows..I cranked and started the boat 10 times with no problem when the choke wires were disconnected..when I connected the wires back and push the key switch in to choke the fuse blew

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That narrows it down to 3 things, switch, wires or the choke. best o luck, you'll have it fixed in no time.

regal 182

Cadet
its the choke..I disconnected the 2 purple wires and hit the choke and the fuse didnt blow..reconnected the wires hit the choke and the fuse blew.. thanks for the help