Which Horn? 0.5 amps 112db or 4.0 amps 111db.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

I replaced my horn with a unit rated at 0.5 amps and 112db which sound like a bicycle buzzer. There is a similar horn rated at 4.0 amps but one less db at 111db. It would also require that I drill a slightly bigger hole. The boat's circuit is rated up to 5.0 amps.

Would the horn with the higher amps translate to a louder horn or is that strictly a function of db?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Horns have different sounds so 111 or 112 dB can be as you experienced (bicycle buzzer at 112 dB standing next to it) or like a freight train, auto, truck horn at similar dB ratings. Type of sound has a bearing on how it is perceived. Folks tend to think a four stroke outboard is quieter than a two stroke for example and at slower speeds that's true. At wide open throttle the dB rating for both motors is nearly the same, however the four stroke makes a different type of noise than a two stroke so it is "perceived" to be quieter because the noise is apparently more "pleasing" (or less obnoxious). So in your case, the 4 amp horn will likely create a much different sound and therefore be more noticeable or attention-getting as the case may be.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why not just install a typical electric car horn or horns? They are loud and on the water such a sound would get attention... Just a suggestion and you could even buy them dirt cheap in a salvage yard too...

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Silvertip and GM280. What I think I'll do is get the 4amp unit and test it. I can do that without widening the hole. If it's no better than the 0.5 amp horn then I'll just send it back. As far as the car horn...that would be interesting to say the least LOL.

Thanks Again

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Silvertip and GM280. What I think I'll do is get the 4amp unit and test it. I can do that without widening the hole. If it's no better than the 0.5 amp horn then I'll just send it back. As far as the car horn...that would be interesting to say the least LOL.

Thanks Again

pbolden, one thing you may not know is, most electric horns are tunable. There is usually a nut you can loosen and adjust the threaded portion in or out to change the pitch of the sound. So if you get a horn that just doesn't have the sound you're wanting, you can adjust it a little. If you turn the adjust in or out too far, it will sound working all together. But just reverse the adjuster again and it will sound off again. JMHO!

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks again gm280, I will see if the current horn has that capability.