Mercury key switch install

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
Installed new sierra key switch in 2001 bass tracker with 2000 60 hp mercury outboard. Requires three position (on/ignition/start) w/push to choke feature, old switch was drawing juice from battery. Installed one wire at a time to make sure I got them right. New switch seems to work but cranks immediately when going from off. I can't even make it to the start. Have I installed a wire wrong? There is two 's on new switch. I know somewhere I saw the proper color to letter designations on here but now can't locate it. It's a six prong, same a s the original tracker I replaced.
Thanks.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
Forgot to mention that didn't notice it before installed new switch, that the starter continues to engage and spin until I wiggle the key back almost to off.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
Part number is MP41000. Ill take a look at the link tomorrow. On a kindle fire Anne won't let me access it. Thanks by the way.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
Part number is MP41000. Ill take a look at the link tomorrow. On a kindle fire and it won't let me access it. Thanks by the way.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
Well being somewhat ADD and an illustrator and asking does your switch look like that, no not exactly. Joking...But, it does have six connections. With the letters M,M,C,S,B and an I. By the way I have that manual, came in the mail yesterday. I guess I needed the Mercury outboard for dummies first.

wrench 3

Commander
I'm not sure if worded it write, but I was asking if it looked like your old switch. I was more interested in the wire culours. So I will assume that they are the same.
The black would go to one of the M terminals, the black/yellow would go to the other M terminal, the red to the B terminal, purple to the I, yellow/red to the S, and yellow/black to the C terminal.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not sure if worded it write, but I was asking if it looked like your old switch. I was more interested in the wire culours. So I will assume that they are the same.
The black would go to one of the M terminals, the black/yellow would go to the other M terminal, the red to the B terminal, purple to the I, yellow/red to the S, and yellow/black to the C terminal.

You sir are a God send. I thank. Had the purple and yellow/red switched. That did it. Saved me a trip to the shop, not to mention $95.00 an hour! Thank you again. Wrote these down for future reference. Thank you.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
Only funny if you've dealt with ADD children and adults. We see detail that others can't. Exception is a purple wire and a yellow/red wire and an M...Thanks regardless.