Key switch relocation with '77 Mercury 1150

skilet

Cadet
Not sure why my paragraph breaks are not showing... But sorry about the tough read. My current boat project is the replacement and relocation of the original ignition switch from the Mercontrol box to the dash of the old Ranger 1776 Super-A with a '77 mercury 1150.
Picked up a Seadog 3 position key switch with push to choke (420382-1) as a replacement, and extended the harness to reach the dash ignition switch location. The tach was not wired up before, and I'll leave it that way, as well as ignoring the choke button on the control box in favor of the push to choke key switch.

I used the original Merc wire colors to extend the harness, and I've run a yellow wire off each side of the neutral start switch in the mercontrol, one of which is connected to a ground terminal bar at the dash, and the other will be to the key switch.

Question is...
The new key switch labels do not match the old one.
I have connected the gray wire to C (choke), but am unsure on which old merc wire colors go to S (solenoid), I (ignition), M (magneto), and B (battery). I am assuming that the other "M" (mag. Ground) terminal can just go to the dash ground bar.

I hope I've explained my question clearly, and appreciate the read, and any advice or thoughts on this.

wrench 3

Commander
The one yellow wires from the neutral switch should be going to the S on the key switch but the other should be connected to the yellow wire in the harness from the engine! The red will go to the B terminal, the white to the I and the orange to the M.

skilet

Cadet
Ok... That makes sense. So that is:

Gray from harness to C terminal
Yellow from harness, through neutral switch to S terminal
Red from harness to B terminal
White from harness to the I terminal
Orange from harness (which I thought was pink or salmon) to the M terminal
Other M terminal (mag. Ground) to under dash ground terminal bar back to battery

Thanks a million for that my friend... Very much appreciated!

skilet

Cadet
Also... Is the neutral switch non-directional... As in... Would it matter which side of the neutral switch goes to the switch and which one goes to harness?

wrench 3

Commander
It doesn't matter which way you run it through the neutral switch.
And the rest of the hook up sounds good the way you stated it. If you extended the black wire up from the old switch you could use that for the ground. But either way will work.