bass tracker pro team 17, light issue

mrc283

Seaman Apprentice
1996 bass tracker pro team 17, i bought the boat last fall, just put in a new bulb for the light on the side of the steering console, it wasn't working but traced the wires and found it had a bad fuse. it works but its on full time not wired to a stitch... all factory wires, what am i overlooking guys? thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the light a courtesy light? Should be a switch for one of those.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would think that there has to be a schematic diagram available for your boat. You need to find one and start tracing the wires for the circuits) giving you a problem. If you know nothing about electrical issues, somebody you know could lend a hand. Sounds like a probable shorted switch. But unless you can trace the wore to such a switch or wherever it goes, you could be looking for a while. While it all may look factory, you really have no idea what PO's could have rewired or changed...

mrc283

Seaman Apprentice
I have traced all the wires, there is no switch. I cant seem to find a diagram.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Did you check the light itself. Sometimes the switch is on the light housing.

mrc283

Seaman Apprentice
no switch on the light, that would be a quick fix though! I have looked for a courtesy light with a switch but no luck, where can I but one?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What is this light for? Is it a navigation light or just a courtesy light of some kind? You want to buy what? A light with a switch or just a switch. Either way you can buy them right here on iBoats. But before you do that, I suggest you really inspect this wiring as not even the dumbest of manufacturers would wire a boat so a light stays on all the time. That is a recipe for a dead battery. There has to be a switch for that light somewhere. Perhaps it is supposed to be on only when the ignition switch is on in which case it would be wired to the "I" terminal. If the wire with the fuse is connected to the positive bus then the factory did not do this, the prior owner did.