Testing 200hp Johnson stator

Arty76

Cadet
I'm suspecting the stator is bad, when the battery is connected the battery will drain very quickly and when I felt up under the flywheel the stator was burning hot to the touch, I have the stator off the motor and need to know how to check it.
It's a 1995 Johnson Venom 200 hp. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arty76, Something surely doesn't sound right with your issue. Is the stator connected directly to the battery and not a rectifier? I haven't ever heard of such a setup personally. But maybe somebody else will chime in and help out. The usual setup is the stator goes to the rectifier and then from there either to a regulator or straight to the battery depending on the engine involved. So I can't understand you stator going to the battery... Of course that will short out the battery and/or burn out the stator windings. It has no other option but to do that. Now if the system is setup to go from the stator to the rectifier and it is getting hot and draining the battery, You have a shorted rectifier for certain and need to disconnect the battery and replace the rectifier and see if the stator is still good...

Arty76

Cadet
No, I didn't mean that I connected the stator directly to the battery, I meant when I connect the motor power cables to the battery, and everything thing is still wired and hooked up like factory, but since I have the stator off I need to know how to check it

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok heres the test asi remember it, ohm meter= check for contunity on wiring on stator. Then check for shorts to ground. ( all wiring disconected on stator.) if all testsgood ?no problem. Id guess? rectifier is bad!! Check it!! current not flowing from stator to batt (thru recteifier) will cause a heat build up in stator! After all that flywheel does cool the stator too! Yet when engine is hot after running the stator will be hot too. Yet cools rapidly! Bad tack (if equipped) ? will discharge a batt.

Arty76

Cadet
Check each wire to ground? does the stator body itself act as ground since it's off the motor? and the tach does work erratically, the tach is controlled by the rectifier? is there a way to test the rectifier off the motor? Thanks

Arty76

Cadet
So I hooked everything back up on the motor, and when I connected the yellow/yellow gray connector from stator to the rectifier the stator started heating up, so it looks like the voltage from battery is going backwards through rectifier to the stator, good indication that the rectifier is bad? What else does the rectifier control?