Need some electrical panel advise please!

Vabeachin

Cadet
Hello I am replacing the rocker switch panel on my wellcraft v20 and rewiring the pumps radio and lights. The new 6 rocker switch panel has only 1+ and 1- wire to connect to as the rest are daisy chained so essentially I will be running all 6 switches off of one fuse on the blue sea 12 blade fuse panel not what I wanted to do I wanted to individualize every items switch, pos, and ground. Any advice would be helpful as I need to get started asap

Bondo

Staff member
Hello I am replacing the rocker switch panel on my wellcraft v20 and rewiring the pumps radio and lights. The new 6 rocker switch panel has only 1+ and 1- wire to connect to as the rest are daisy chained so essentially I will be running all 6 switches off of one fuse on the blue sea 12 blade fuse panel not what I wanted to do I wanted to individualize every items switch, pos, and ground. Any advice would be helpful as I need to get started asap

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Donno what yer workin' with/ lookin' at, but Un-daisy chain 'em,....

It sounds like the switch panel ain't compatible with the distribution box,....

One or the other has gotta change,....

Vabeachin

Cadet
Ok just so I'm clear I the switch panel for the helm is a prewired sea choice led 6 rocker switch panel with breakers so you are saying to use the blue seas fuse panel I need a different switch panel with only on off switched no fuses or breakers so each switch will be independently fed from the fuse panel?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Now you got the correct idea. There is only more trouble trying to find out if a fuse has blown or a breaker has tripped, or gone bad, when something dose not work when doubled up fused . It is a good idea to test the bilge pump and all electrical items before leaving the dock or at home before going to the launch ramp. JMO
Oldman570

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sounds more to me like you only need a fused positive line to the new switch panel with a fuse large enough to power everything that is on the switch. Then each switch on the panel is fused with a breaker. Everything needs to be wired into the switch that is controlling it. Your Blue Seas fuse block panel can actually be removed and not needed as it would be redundant.

Vabeachin

Cadet
you are correct, but i wanted everything individualized so i removed the daisy chains from the switches which enabled me to feed each switch from the fuse panel so i will be wiring in the accessories tommorow and tuesday night bow and anchor light vhf small bilge pump deck lights and fish finderi will post pics so everyone can see and give input and i thank all for any opinions advice concerns or knowledge

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Why did you do that? Each circuit on your new panel is already protected by a circuit breaker. The only other fuse or breaker you need is the one in main feed to that new panel. You made work for yourself when you didn't need to. Leave your current fuse panel as it is. There is one large #8 or #10 wire feeding the current fuse panel. Tap the feed for your new switch panel into that wire. The fuse or breaker at the battery will protect the new switch panel run so you don't need to add anything to the new switch panel feed. Now connect the individual circuits back in daisy chain fashion on the switch panel as it was when you received it.

Vabeachin

Cadet
silvertip, thank you i was unsure as my past 2 boats i had made switch panels myself and installed blue sea fuse panels with excellent results. i have never bought one from retail. i like this seachoice switch panel i bought but i have limited knowledge of breakers how do you know the amp rating and if it will provide protection for main bilge and electronics like 2, 3, or 10 amp fuses will blow first

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Then you should see that it can be wire directly into the battery with the proper size wire and either a fuse or a circuit breaker. No need to wire it into your other fuse panel. From the looks of it, it should have came with a number of different sized circuit breakers already in it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Circuit breakers work just like fuses only they can be reset if they open. Whatever fuse sizes you had before you should use the same size circuit breaker. You also do not need to run that "feed" wire all the way back to the battery. There is a feed to the current fuse panel. Connect the switch panel feed to the feed wire on the fuse panel. You are removing the accessories from the fuse panel and connecting them to the new switch panel so there is no gain or loss in current carrying capacity here.

Vabeachin

Cadet
yes i am not going to use the blue sea fuse panel. i have to run the new hotwire back to the perko switch as this is a total rewire of the boat accessories except the engine gauges. the boat is a wellcraft v20 and the wiring was a mess i do hvac for a living so i have a grest understanding of wiring i was just confused a little by the prewired switch panel i already took the old panel out relocated ignition installed new seachoice panel and have lights and backup bilge and cabin lights hooked up i had to work late so i will update pics and profile tommorow night once again thanks for afvice and i will check back tommorow night with yall