Main Panel AC Switch

Rickross12

Cadet
I would like to add another main panel AC switch for an inverter installation. I believe the switches should be interconnected so only one can be on at a time. Can I add another similar AC switch and somehow interconnect them or would I need to purchase a dual switch set already interconnected? Where might I purchase similar switches for my panel...ie: manufacturer, types etc.?

Regards

Attachments

• photo217676.jpg
    photo217676.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I would like to add another main panel AC switch for an inverter installation. I believe the switches should be interconnected so only one can be on at a time. Can I add another similar AC switch and somehow interconnect them or would I need to purchase a dual switch set already interconnected? Where might I purchase similar switches for my panel...ie: manufacturer, types etc.?

Regards

Here is a schematic of how to do it
Dual Shore power.jpg

jhebert

Ensign
If you want to INTERLOCK two separate circuit breakers so only one can be closed at a time, the INTERLOCK is usually accomplished with a mechanical method, not an electrical method. Typically some sort of slide mechanism is created that physically prevents one circuit breaker from being in the closed position when its paired circuit breaker is already closed. If you cannot design and fabricate such a mechanical interlocking mechanism, you may be able to find a suitable pre-configured switch that accomplishes the same interlocking by virtue of its mechanical design.

MARINCO is a good source for electrical circuit breakers for 120-VAC suitable for marine use.

Last edited:

Rickross12

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. Would a transfer switch be preferable. I am now thinking maybe using a Xantrex prowatt sw transfer switch? Any pros or cons to using one?
Regards

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the replies. Would a transfer switch be preferable. I am now thinking maybe using a Xantrex prowatt sw transfer switch? Any pros or cons to using one?
Regards

According to what I've found the switch can only handle 15 amps. Its designed to switch to an inverter and back to main power. With only a 15 amp max my guess is it would be good for being used on a frig which does not run a 12V