Boat Headlight Suggestions???

Cajundave10

Seaman
I am looking for something that would be comparable to head lights for my boat. I don't necessarily care where they mount I would just like to be able to see when driving down the bayous of South Louisiana in front of me clearly. Any suggestions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its actually a federal law on maritime lighting while underway.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
+1 on the regulations, also consider courtesy to others on the water

thee kids gave me a handheld, rechargeable and plugs into cigarette lighter socket, LED spot light. It has white high/low, and red light settings. I just keep it at hand at night while under way if I need to see or check for something, briefly. Works great for the boat, and elsewhere

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm surprised to not see this blow up with sides debating as usual. However, I'd bet that not many boaters go out without at least a good handheld spot or flood type light. I know I will have one aboard myself. Because there are times a good light can be a serious life savior. Just use such a light for special circumstances and be appreciative of other boaters and all will be okay! Comment courtesy goes a very long way! JMHO!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Check your regulations on lighting. I would guess that what you have in mind is not legal.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Not commenting on the legality but I do know that bow fisherman light up their boats pretty well at times.

kimberly54

Recruit
Go Light makes a series of remote controlled marine spot lights that work well. I have one that I use for near shore navigation and docking at night. They are a bit pricey but hold up very well in a marine/saltwater environment.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No forward facing white lights in PA, unless you are bow fishing, then you can light up the sky like Yankee Stadium. I've always wondered why finding a fish to shoot is OK, but finding your way to the boat launch isn't.

Anyway, I keep a small rechargable spotlight hanging under the helm and use it sparingly.

If you come around the bend and run head on with someone running his docking lights at night sometime you'll immediately understand why they are outlawed in most places.