Is there a truely stainless steel power socket?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
replacing the power outlets on the boat again. this time they lasted about 3 years (salt air).

these only come with a 304 stainless mounting face. http://www.iboats.com/STAINLESS-STE...6825365--session_id.011166798--view_id.939666

Since I jettisoned the face and mounted directly to my dash, and in the cabin, I jettisoned the only stainless part. the sockets are chrome plated (as the chrome is flaking off), and have long since turned to a rust ball.

I am looking for a true 316 stainless socket.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure you are going to find such a thing. I would think that the actual contacts would have been copper to transfer current the best. I have never seen and stainless steel contacts on such a socket before. But that doesn't mean the don't make them either... JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the contacts were plated spring steel for the lighter "snap" the riv-stud is stainless, guessing 18-8.

The 2 "stainless" sockets rusted out as quickly as my autozone $3 special. so I am currently going with autozone $3 units and will simply have to replace once every 3 years, or turn some on the lathe

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The seadog ones that rusted also had rubber covers. Going to probability turn some on the lathe at work