Trying to find correct trim relays... got advice? 1993 4.3L Volvo duo prop

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Same old boat... can't find sierra or other numbers to cross. I don't know enough about relays but know there are differences... the ones at the trim motor are 899548..40 amp. the ones under the dash are a little different and probably one has been replaced since one has a mounting bracket and the other doesn't but otherwise are identical except for the last two numbers... all 5 prong. Bosch 0332204101 and 0332204125... 20/30 amp. Local marina used to service this boat and was swapping a lot of used parts....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually you can buy those type relays all day long at most any auto parts store. They are actually two versions of the five pin/plug relays so be careful which one you buy for your needs. While both types look identical and have five pins, or plug tabs, they are not switchable. One is a SPST type while the other is a SPDT type. I thought all those relays were the same until I worked on my neighbors RV air conditioner system... I found out after reading the RV schematic and finding a SPST relay in the RV instead of a SPDT that was on the schematic... So take your old relay with you and get the exact same type... There should be a little schematic on the relay somewhere to should what type it is...

Last edited:

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks gm280. I did some research and ended up getting a 5 pack of each off of amazon since I'll be working on at least one more boat with similar problems. Since it handles the up circuit and down circuit it requires the double throw (SPDT) to reverse the current. Here's a good thread that helped me a lot and explained a lot of stuff... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi.../606458-volvo-trim-relays-replacement-numbers