Where to ground guages?

Cajundave10

Seaman
Where should my guages ground to?

I understand that I daisy chain them all together, but I am wondering where to terminate the ground wire.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Any and all grounds on any boat should be grounded back to the negative terminal of the battery. Never ever use the boat hull as your ground. Take another large gauge wire the exact size as the positive wire feeding all the electricals on the boat and run it up to the gauges and daisy chain their grounds to that ground wire/breakout terminal. Oh, also make sure you have proper fuses or circuit breaks installed as well for each circuit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they should all be routed to a grounding block under the helm which is then run back to the motor battery. everything is wired back to the negative terminal on the battery.

I personally do not like daisy chained grounds, as this was done by the contracted wire house of the OEM to reduce cost. I prefer an individual Pos, Neg and signal to each gauge from a terminal strip.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok, so I am wiring everything through this circuit box by blue sea(link below). It has a negative bus bar. Can I just use one negative post/terminal on that to ground everything out (assuming I have a good ground on this box back to the battery).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... So long as the ground buss bar is connected to the battery's ground post,...

All of the ground buss bar is the ground path for yer connections to the power distribution panel,...

How many wires per screw comes down to practicality,... whatever fits, daisy chain where ya can,....

Fed

Commander
Power for the gauges should come from the motor accessory feed and the gauge negatives should connect to the to its corresponding ground. You don't want the gauges on when the motor is off.