Boat not Starting

m3gumby

Cadet
Ok so following the winterization of my boat, it won't start now. When I turn the key, it just clicks.

I have;

1. Purchased a new marine battery
2. Changed the negative terminal connection on the battery
3. Pulled off the power cable from the starter and used a jumper cable in its place
4. Pulled off the starter - had it bench tested and is working
5. Replaced solenoid.

Any ideas on what I can do next? Boat has a 5.0 Mercruiser.

wrench 3

Commander
You're going to need a 12V test light and some one to turn the key. You need to find out where you're loosing the juice.
Did you replace the solenoid on the starter or the one up on the front right of the engine, over the fuel water separator? Since you called it a 5.0, I'm assuming that it's not out of the '70s.

m3gumby

Cadet
I replaced the solenoid over the fuel water separator right by the pulleys. The starter and solenoid were tested at autozone and were working fine. If I can get a test light, where would be the best places to start testing?

Fed

Commander
For simplicity start at the battery & work your way out or in the easy to get to places like across the block & solenoid large terminals. Test while someone hits the key and see where the Voltage drops down.
Keep in mind things like the battery terminal posts are different from the battery lugs so you have to test at every available point.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You said you used a jumper cable from the starter but you didn't indicate what the result was or where you had the engine end of the cable attached. If it was at the solenoid on the starter, which post. Did you try it directly on the starter post thus going around the solenoid. The fact that the solenoid clicks tells me the ignitioin switch/start circuit is working. High current is not getting from the positive terminal of the battery, through the cable, to the solenoid, through solenoid internal contacts to the starter, then back to the battery via the metal shell of the starter, the engine block and the negative battery cable. You obviously checked one end of the cables but did you check the other ends as well. Current needs clean and tight connections throughout the entire path,. Lastly, did you charge that new battery? No -- they aren't always at full charge when you buy them.

wrench 3

Commander
Personally I'd start at the starter. Connect the test light between the starter case and the battery cable stud on the solenoid at the starter and turn the key to the start position. That will verify if the problem is in the battery circuit or not. Then work your way back from there.