Cost Effective Local Marine Wiring

Cajundave10

Seaman
Hello, I am rewiring my 18'6" 1996 Cajun Center console. I am looking for recommendations for where to buy all of my wiring. I of course could plan ahead and buy in bulk online but, I would rather go and pick it up at a store locally.

Autozone? West marine? Lowe's or Home Depot?

Any and all help appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I doubt you will find marine grade wire at any big box store, or hardware store, or discount store.

And you will need 50% more than you think. When installing wire, it seems to disappear or shrink.

Great prices at Genuinedealz dot com.

Cajundave10

Seaman
Are bass pro shops and/or west marine reasonable? I think those are the only 2 marine supply stores in Baton Rouge where I am from

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I couldn't find any place locally - auto supply store, hardware stores, big box stores - that sold tinned wire. I ended ordering from Genuinedealz based on reports I've seen here. They did a really nice job. Not the speediest at filling out the order and they shipped (for free) using US Postal Service (slow!). But I got a really good deal on the wire I ordered. Much cheaper than other online sites I looked at.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my local ACE sells marine wire, however I think they believe its gold plated just like West Marine. the price is about 5x that you can get on-line

get tinned wire like stated,

also, plan the entire wiring harness prior. plan each run, estimate the lengths, then add 25% or more (to account for splices, routing, etc). figure out each connection, then add 25% (to replace the ones you dropped)

Cajundave10

Seaman
Thanks to everyone for the advice Looks like I'll be putting pen to paper and figuring this thing out then making an order of tinned wire online. Thanks again!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have to rewire the instruments/controls from the motor to the helm, there are many places that sell the wiring harnesses complete