Electrical help with a Lund Pro V 2025

Jedivman

Recruit
I am helping my buddy with an issue with his boat. It's a 2002 Lund Pro V 2025 with a 225 Honda and a 9.9 Honda kicker. He is having an issue with the fuel gauge reading under empty most of the time, occasionally when hitting a wave the gauge will register for a second until you hit another wave and then it goes to well under empty.

I was tracing some wires last night after I pulled the floor up. It has a Wema pump in it with 3 wires, Black, Pink and Green. I probed all 3 wires and it showed ground on all 3 wires. I tried to trace the wires and they run to the back of the boat by the battery box and disappear. I pulled the dash bezel off and was checking the wires on the back of the gauge. I must have grounded out the test light on power back there because now the ignition switch is as dead as his fuel gauge.

I checked the fuse able links by the battery an they are all good, I tried to use the test light on all of the fuses on the fuse block and they all light up as green showing Ground not power. I can't for the life of me figure out what I tripped to kill the ignition. The kicker will start and crank but the main ignition in the dash for the big motor is dead.

Can someone give me an idea where to look? And maybe give me an idea why I am reading ground on every wire on the fuse block and all 3 wires on the sending unit?

Thanks a million in advance!!!

Gary

Jedivman

Recruit
I should add, I had the key forward when I was testing the wires on the back of the fuel gauge, when I touched something there was a slight spark and the lights on the dash went out and now nothing happens when you turn the key....

Bondo

Staff member
I am helping my buddy with an issue with his boat. It's a 2002 Lund Pro V 2025 with a 225 Honda and a 9.9 Honda kicker. He is having an issue with the fuel gauge reading under empty most of the time, occasionally when hitting a wave the gauge will register for a second until you hit another wave and then it goes to well under empty.

I was tracing some wires last night after I pulled the floor up. It has a Wema pump in it with 3 wires, Black, Pink and Green. I probed all 3 wires and it showed ground on all 3 wires. I tried to trace the wires and they run to the back of the boat by the battery box and disappear. I pulled the dash bezel off and was checking the wires on the back of the gauge. I must have grounded out the test light on power back there because now the ignition switch is as dead as his fuel gauge.

I checked the fuse able links by the battery an they are all good, I tried to use the test light on all of the fuses on the fuse block and they all light up as green showing Ground not power. I can't for the life of me figure out what I tripped to kill the ignition. The kicker will start and crank but the main ignition in the dash for the big motor is dead.

Can someone give me an idea where to look? And maybe give me an idea why I am reading ground on every wire on the fuse block and all 3 wires on the sending unit?

Thanks a million in advance!!!

Gary

Ayuh,.... Pump,..??..??

The black wire is ground, the green wire is the bonding wire, 'n the pink is the gauge sender wire,....

When the pink wire is grounded out, the gauge will peg, Full,.....

I'd guess ya shorted out a fuse or breaker when ya got the spark,...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You blew the fuse under the engine cover. Chances are the trim doesn't work either. Can the test light and get a meter.

Jedivman

Recruit
Blew the fuse under the engine cover on the Honda outboard? Never thought to check that, mines an I/O so that eluded me to look there. Thank you, will try that when I get home. Then I can wrestle with the sending unit issue.

I thought I read the green wire goes to the filler neck for a ground, the black to the main battery ground and the pink wire right ti the fuel gauge itself. Does that sound right?