Lowance HST-WSU 200 khz Skimmer transducer problems

oldfarmall

Seaman
Hello-

I have a cheap Eagle Cuda 168 fish finder (made by Lowrance), mainly use it for water depth and temp. The transducer is a model HST-WSU made by Lowrance. Last year it did not work right at any speed or depth on our annual fishing trip. I do have it mounted at the proper angle and spot on my 14 foot aluminum boat. Depth flashes and is not correct. This is the second transducer in recent years I have had problems with. My question is, do these Lowrance transducers go bad? When I hook it up to the finder off the boat, I can hear some faint clicking or pinging on the transducer. However, the clicking is not steady. It clicks 3 times, then very short pause, then 3 clicks, then short pause pattern. This pattern reflects on the screen scroll pattern as well. I would think it is supposed to click steady, am I correct? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-Jesse

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The cold weather shouldn't bother the transducer. You do realize transducers can not read through air so the pulsing you hear/feel may be due to that. But yes -- transducers can go bad.