76 johnson seahorse key kill not working

likearock05

Cadet
I have a 76 Johnson seahorse 35hp with model number 35EL76G with remote throttle and shift and key switch panel. The key switch kill was working for quite awhile but recently it has quit working. I was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the engine or atleast the kill switch circuit. It has the black round plug under the hood in the engine harness, Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
​cary

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Do you mean turning off the key does not kill the engine, or do you mean the kill switch lanyard (man overboard) lanyard does not kill the engine?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The ignition switch shorts the magneto to ground to kill the engine. Check the switch to see if a wire has popped off.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
the two m terminals on the back of the key switch should short together when the key switch is in the off position i hope my understanding is right the other guys have already forgot more than i understand hope this helps:joyous:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the kill switch (man over board) is still working, then you have isolated it to the ignition switch. And if there is no wire broken off or corroded, then you have a bad ignition switch. If the kill switch isn't working either, then you have problems with the wires from the helm area to the engine itself. Hope that helps you out some... JMHO!