What size Minnkota for my 19ft Sea Nymph?

LakeNymph

Cadet
Ready to purchase a Minnkota Terrova or Ulterra for my Sea Nymph GLS 195. Boat is 19ft and anywhere from 1600-1800lbs with gear/guys. Question is do I need a 60", or 72" shaft, and 80lb or 112lb thrust? The Ulterra is only available with 60" shafts right now so hoping that would be sufficient. Any suggestions or experience to share?

Attachments

• photo217326.jpg
    photo217326.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I would for sure want the 112lb thrust,......

And I would want the longest shaft possible,...

If you set on a Ulterra you might have to wait and see if they will make it in a 72",...

What do you use for gps electronics? and are you planning on networking them with the bow mount?

LakeNymph

Cadet
No Link system needed. I have a Hummingbird i585 which I believe would communicate with the system but I again, have no need. The terrova is a great motor but that auto deploy sounds like a dream!

I have a 18 foot alumicraft trophy and I put a 74 lb thrust with a 72" shaft length and it pulls it nice. The other thing you might want to think about is if you go to 112 lb thrust you are going to need a 36 volt system, so would you have enough space to put 3 batteries?

LakeNymph

Cadet
I have the room for three batteries but not sure I want to. I'm leaning toward the 80lb thrust terrova with a longer shaft. To add, my 3 bank on board charger will go to all batteries this way. I would be using the trolling motor for 3 weeks of MN walleye fishing, gps anchoring on lake michigan perch, and an occasional muskie hunt in eastern IN. So the auto deploy won't be a huge upset although if they made a 72" shaft 80lb ulterra I'd probably get it!

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the Terrova 80lb thrust with the 60" shaft for my boat which is much bigger and heavier that what you have. Although I use it more for maneuvering and slowly working my way along a shore line and not necessarily for trolling, I get 2.5 to 3 mph by my GPS on maximum thrust. Just measure the distance from the bow plate of your boat to the water line. You want the motor to reach at least 12" to 18" into the water.