windlass solenoid differences

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm installing a windlass on my 25'boat I lnow I need 6 AWG wire. But my question is what is the differences between solenoids. I know I need a 12v one. But I see some for $30 and some for $200. No one posts the amp specs or other specs. Please advise.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
What brand of windlass? And the length of the wire run may require a larger wire size.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The purpose of a solenoid is so that the switch is carrying only signal amperage--a tenth of an amp or so-- while the actual power amperage is directed to the motor. It is safer

The difference in solenoids is the size of the power carrying contacts and their material. For example: Outboard power trim solenoids are 12 volt and have a capacity of about 30 amps. The internal contact points are about the size of the contacts of a set of automotive points--say 3/16 inch diameter and about 1/8 inch thick. Starter motor solenoids are also 12 volts but the internal contacts are much beefier. They range about 3/8 diameter by about 3/16 thick and are probably rated for around 200 amps. Some industrial solenoids have silver contacts, increasing the current carrying capacity due to silver's superior conductivity. These have contacts well over 1/2 inch diameter and are rated for fork-truck used at 48 volts. They are extremely expensive.

Without knowing the size of the motor on the winch it is difficult to describe what solenoid to buy. If you do not have a wiring harness or specifications it would be best to email the company for a solenoid recommendation. At minimum, they should know the amp draw of the winch motor,

Since it is not a starter motor or other heavy duty application, I suspect that it draws about 30 amps like a trailer electric winch. You can also check in the local auto store or catalog and see what bumper mount winches draw in amps..

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I'm installing a windlass on my 25'boat I lnow I need 6 AWG wire. But my question is what is the differences between solenoids. I know I need a 12v one. But I see some for $30 and some for $200. No one posts the amp specs or other specs. Please advise.

The lewmar 700 uses a 35amp breaker/fuse. This is the same one that tpenfield is installing. Need 4AWG wire or at least 6AWG wire. The distance is a factor to consider. Mine is the Maxwell 500 and uses a 50AMP breaker and the ford style starter solenoids. They can handle a lot more amps and the cost is fairly cheap in respect. These must be sealed solenoids, not the regular ones for cars unless they happen to be sealed.
Solenoid.jpg

you need a winch or golf cart solenoid as they are designed for longer duty cycles than a starter solenoid. In simple terms you can not leave a solenoid like the one used on a car on for more than a few minutes as the coil will get hot and fail. A golf cart one is designed to stay on all day. I would expect to pay about $20 each.
I normally buy insulated solenoids like the one alldodge pictured as I do not like the ones that ground via the casing.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand there are different types of solenoids. No one posts or lists the tech specs about their solenoids. The one that I'm suppose to use a Lewmar 68000939 Dual Direction one. I've seen it listed for a variety of prices. I've also seen different ones listed for larger windlasses. But what are the differences in solenoids? Why is one $200 and one is $20. I want a HD one that will last and not burn out. I know I need a continuous operation one, but no one list any speces. I'm a little frustrated.

alldodge

Staff member
I understand there are different types of solenoids. No one posts or lists the tech specs about their solenoids. The one that I'm suppose to use a Lewmar 68000939 Dual Direction one. I've seen it listed for a variety of prices. I've also seen different ones listed for larger windlasses. But what are the differences in solenoids? Why is one $200 and one is $20. I want a HD one that will last and not burn out. I know I need a continuous operation one, but no one list any speces. I'm a little frustrated.

If you tell us the ones your looking at we can have a look and advise our opinions. The one I listed can and has handled more ON time then the norm. The reason I had to replace one is because I kept forgetting to turn the main one off so it was on for weeks. It finally gave up and I replaced it. The one I listed can handle IMO 100 amps without an issue

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

[h=1]Lewmar Sealed Contactor / Solenoid[/h]
  • Designed to fit all Pro Series and V700 Windlasses
  • Power: 12 Volt DC, Type: Dual direction
  • Model # 68000939

Attachments

• photo217400.jpg
    photo217400.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
[h=1]Lewmar Sealed Contactor / Solenoid[/h]
  • Designed to fit all Pro Series and V700 Windlasses
  • Power: 12 Volt DC, Type: Dual direction
  • Model # 68000939

Spent some time trying to find specs on the relay and so far nothing. Only thing is it is two relays in one package. If you go this route you only need one and I'll guess from the apparent size of the terminal studs I would guess its about 50amps.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
AllDodge, See what I mean. None of them say if they are continues duty, Amp ratings, ignition protected, some say they are water proof. There are huge price swings and very little info.

your problem is not the amp rating as most will handle the required amps. If in doubt follow the wire size as no one like to install expensive cables if they don't have to.
The real problem is going to be finding something that fits where ever you unbolted the old one from. A quick flee bay search for a dual action solenoid showed them from 30 to 200 dollars. The problem is going to be the size and post placement. Now I did notice that yours shows a gasket that in my mind suggests it may be able to be disassembled. Can you tell us whats wrong with the original and how you confirmed it was the solenoid.

try searching reversing solinoid

Last edited:

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing is wrong with the solenoid. I don't have a solenoid. It's a new install. I have all I need for the project. Except the solenoid. I want to know what I'm paying for. I want to make sure it's heavy duity and want overheat and burn out. I want details. No one has any.

alldodge

Staff member
I would recommend buying the same one's I did for my windless. Mine pulls more amps then yours and they have held up very well. As before one of mine burned out only because I kept forgetting to turn it off. I needed one but bought two and still have it sitting on the self.

The box has an ARC lable and says its from Pensacola FL, part number is R012 relay. Sku number on box is 93006 00244. Looks like the one in the pic above, and number on the relay is either CR21 or CK21

Fed

Commander
I think you could safely say that all the solenoid coils are rated for continuous use so it's really only the contact rating you need to consider. Never seen or heard of a coil that's only rated for intermittent use.