Is a Battery Tender brand charger good enough for maintaining deep cycle batteries.

tnq5546

Cadet
Replacing my old deep cycle battery. I need to know if $80 two bank Battery Tender brand charger is good enough to maintain my new batteries. If not, please make some recommendations.

alldodge

Staff member
Replacing my old deep cycle battery. I need to know if $80 two bank Battery Tender brand charger is good enough to maintain my new batteries. If not, please make some recommendations.

According to their specs the charger should be fine. Battery Tender is owned by Deltran out of North Attleboro, MA and started in 1961. While I have always looked at their products as on the cheaper side I might have to relook since you brought up the question

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
You haven't specified which model and there are different models within every manufacturer's line of chargers. That said, any maintainer only has to replace what may have leaked down, perhaps while in storage. Only very low currents are required to "trickle" charge as maintenance. A low current model will likely still be able to charge a depleted battery, but it may take a considerable time (days?). I have installed a similarly priced CTEK Muti US3300 that maxes out at 3.3 amps, but has been quite adequate for maintaining my trailer queen's pair of deep cycle Group 27H batteries. I don't have a complex 2-bank charging circuit though. I just move a selector switch between batteries on a regular basis, keeping one fresh battery always in reserve for piece of mind. - Grandad

Last edited by a moderator:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The one you're looking at has 2 independent charging systems each 12 volts/1.25A. I would think it would be fine. I use a Battery Tender Plus to keep one battery charged. It too puts out 1.25A.......

bassman284

Commander
The question is, what are you going to use to actually charge them up before putting the tender on them?