ignition wiring question

xpmservices

Recruit
I need to replace my ignition on my 91 ASTRO Bass boat with Merc 150.. my current ignition sticks alot and I lost the key...mine has 9 wires coming out of the ignition but most of the replacements I see have only 6 wires... will that work? Looking for advice on how to fix it. Thanks.

Last edited:

xpmservices

Recruit
This link doesn't work, I posted a picture on the post above if you can see it?

Last edited:

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ion switch-? omc? can be had used!!didnt say what engine was on the boat ?? anyway- gl ignit

xpmservices

Recruit
I posted the engine... it is a Mercury 150HP... I also posted a picture if you can see it? The switch in the picture has no markings on it or anything so I don't know what to get to replace it?

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That reddish looking material around the wires looks like a moisture seal. Try pulling that back and I'll bet you really have a six terminal switch and that there will be letters next to each terminal. Sometimes more than one wire will be attached to a terminal. If so, all you need is the six terminal switch with the push to choke feature.

I have to agree with silvertips. looking at the picture it looks like 3 wires have partners the same color and I would expect them to be landed on the same terminals.

xpmservices

Recruit
Hey guys, Thanks for the responses... I went out there and cut it off and tried to get it open but that red stuff is as hard as a rock....lol... but I got it open enought to find out what I needed to. You guys were right it has two wires running to some of the same terminals. Another question that I had is, if you look at my pics I posted, See that Black with yellow stripe wire with the plug on the end of it? What does that go to? It was unplugged when I just snipped the wires to take it out, wondering if it came disconnected over time or it was just never hooked up at all?

My next question is do I need to buy a certain type of ignition? or Brand? Or just one with 6 wires with a push to choke? And whats the best way to connect them? Just splice them together? Sorry for all the questions but I am not good with electrical stuff.

(sorry for the blurry pics)

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Xpm , dont get an automotive switch they work different. the new switch will have screw terminals on it to just put wires in and tighten. the black/yellow wire is a shutdown wire probably went to kill switch. good luck:joyous:

xpmservices

Recruit
Xpm , dont get an automotive switch they work different. the new switch will have screw terminals on it to just put wires in and tighten. the black/yellow wire is a shutdown wire probably went to kill switch. good luck:joyous:

Hey tbishur, I know not to buy a automotive one...lol... was looking online and saw several brands... figured any marine 6 wire would work. I was going to get one that has wires coming out of it instead of the one with screws on the back, I need all the length I can get on the wires.

so does that extra black/yellow wire have to be hooked up? I will search under the dash for a plug in for it but at first glance earlier I didnt see one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That wire is one of two that connect to the two "M" (magneto) terminals on the ignition switch. The black wire with the connector that was disconnected probably came disconnected when you were poking around behind the instrument panel. With that wire disconnected you would not be able to stop the engine with the ignition key or the kill switch. You should find a mating connector for that wire. Any outboard ignition switch with six terminals and push to choke feature will work. The letter identification on the new switch will be: B = Battery POS. C = choke/primer, M (2 of them) = magneto, S = starter, A = accessory (feeds the instrument panel). It will be active with the key in the RUN position. That terminal may also be labeled "I" for ignition but on an outboard with a magneto ignition system it is identical to the "A" function.