trolling moter batteries

matthew bilbey

Recruit
I have an 86 pound trolling motor and need 24 volts but the batteries are so expensive. Anyone know of a way around this?. Maybe know of real cheap batteries?.

alldodge

Staff member
I have an 86 pound trolling motor and need 24 volts but the batteries are so expensive. Anyone know of a way around this?. Maybe know of real cheap batteries?.

:welcome: to iboats

Sorry but boat stands for Bring On Another Thousand. Only cheapest way around the cost of batteries are blems and rebuilt ones. That said the blem and rebuilt won't last very long and you still need a good charger to keep the batteries maintained. Use a cheap charger and could wind up needing another set of batteries. Only other way around is if your boat isn't very big is do what I did when I was much younger. I sat on the bow of the boat and used a paddle as my trolling motor

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly hope your 86 pound trolling motor is the thrust rating and not the actual weight of it. :facepalm: Okay sorry about that, I had too! :focus:

I, we, presently have no other info about your boat size and or requirements and therefore can't make other suggestions as to whether you need a 24 volt trolling motor or even a 86 pound trust type. If you honestly don't need one that big, you could sell off that one and purchase a new one with merely 12 volt requirements and simplify things. But not knowing it is only a mere suggestion... IDK!

fishrdan

Admiral
What batteries are you looking at? WalMart, Sams, Costco have marine batteries for around $100 each, probably $250 for the pair with taxes and core charges.

If going cheap I'd see about blems, but I wouldn't use a rebuild battery unless they were dirt cheap. Craigslist may be an option as I see marine batteries pop up all the time, but more than likely the battery has been sitting for a long time and it damaged/ruined. (If it hasn't been charged every couple of months and left stored in a discharged state, it's probably a bad battery.)

airshot

Rear Admiral
When it comes to boating there is no such thing as going cheap....it is going to cost you one way or another!!! Cheap batteries means you are going to replace them much more often!