Complete audio rewire....looking for expert opinions!

chrisj13

Cadet
Here's what I've got:
Bayliner 210CU with 220 HP Mercruiser. Single battery....stereo is crap, it's now in the garbage.

Here's my plan:
Install a 2nd house deep cycle battery using the Blue Sea ACR switch.

I plan on securing the house battery under the Captains seat, fused w/in 7inches of the positive terminal. Positive lead (4 gauge I think) runs to the Blue Sea Safety Hub 150. (see photo).
The safety hub allows different amp fuses to protect different size wires, all from one positive lead. Each electronic item would be run into this hub, and then grounded on the terminal block included in the safety hub.

Stereo is put on a switch. The amps are connected to the stereo, so when the stereo is off the amps are off also. (I think the purple wire takes care of this?) Fishfinder, bilge pump and nav/house lights all connect also.

Bilge pump stays hot at all times.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Mistakes I'm not seeing? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• photo215944.jpg
    photo215944.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm guessing you know this, but the amps connect to the battery as well. The "remote" wire, or sometimes labeled power antenna, goes to the "switched power" or remote lead on the stereo. I've seen this wire in different colors, usually yellow, but purple is not out of the question.

When I used to build systems, it used to be RCA cable that that took the signal from the stereo to the amps. Spend the money for good cables, and try to route these at least a few inches away from the power cables to prevent sound interference.

Quality sound comes from power, not speakers. Clean sound comes from proper separation of frequencies. Make sure you don't have bass coming outa tweets, and tweets coming outa bass. An electric crossover works wonders in a system with separate woofers/sub-bass/mid/and tweet systems. ITS A MUST!

If you do choose to use full range speakers, (6x9, 2 way, 3 way, etc), make sure they are rated for a couple hundred watts each, and give them their rated power. Bad sound distortion comes from amps or stereo amps maxing out. When a speaker maxes out, it'll make a popping sound. You want your speakers to max before your power distorts. This way, you have clean sound until your speakers max, and if you're maxing out your speakers you're probably pissing people off anyhow. LOL Feel free to inbox me if you run into any hiccups. Building sound systems used to be "my thing".

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I once put 100W speakers on a 130W amp... When I cranked it up, the speaker cones tried to fly across the room... Totally and irreparably killer those speakers... Always match the speaker to the maximum power of the amp output, or you'll be buying new speakers.... I actually go a little the other way, if the amp output is maximum 50 Watts, I put 55W speakers on. That way I'll never overdrive the speakers. I also make sure I check the sensitivity of the speaker. No point putting a really low sensitivity speaker on or you'll be pushing it to make sound...

Chris.......

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would have loved to see that Achris! LOL Some high end amps show their RMS power, and the peak power is in the small print! As my step father would say, "Moderation in all things!" Yes, you can't run TOO MUCH power, only what it's rated for. On the other hand, 50 W deck power to a 200 W speaker sounds terrible!

chrisj13

Cadet
I'm guessing you know this, but the amps connect to the battery as well. The "remote" wire, or sometimes labeled power antenna, goes to the "switched power" or remote lead on the stereo. I've seen this wire in different colors, usually yellow, but purple is not out of the question.
You're absolutely right....I wasn't very clear in my description of my "laymans wiring diagram"....the positive lead goes into a fuse (located near the battery), which then terminates into the blue sea safety hub device. The power then goes to the amps via 4 or 8 gauge wire. The remote wire should simply turn on/off the amps with the stereo, if I'm not mistaken.

And thanks for the crossover info via PM...I have no idea what it does but it looks complicated and cool and I love it!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
cisj13, Just remember, more is not always better. Make sure everything you select is balanced and matched to everything else in the system...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Everything does NOT need to be balanced. The speakers need to be rated to exceed the max output of the amplifier. There is absolutely no problem driving 200W max speakers with a 50W max output amplifier. If the quality of the speaker is the same, one that is rated for 200W will not sound worse that one that is rated for 50W if the amplifier that is driving it is drive a clean signal.

Amplifiers typically start going non-linear as you have then drive harder. All amps that are built into a deck are not the same and a good quality deck may not need an external amplifier. If you are playing music at a comfortable volume for your needs and the amp is delivering a good signal to whatever speakers you happen to pick, you don't need an external amp.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just read up on the crossover issue....sounds like I definitely need one. Thanks again for the info...much appreciated!
What do you mean you read up on crossover issue? How do you think this applies to your set up? If you aren't installing separate tweeters and woofers it doesn't apply to you.

Last edited:

chrisj13

Cadet
What do you mean you read up on crossover issue? How do you think this applies to your set up? If you aren't installing separate tweeters and woofers it doesn't apply to you.

I have separate tweeters, mids and subs. I guess it applies to me. A friendly PM from Chad turned me onto the idea of needing a crossover.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My suggestion...if you already have speakers, post information so people can help you. Your original post makes it sound like you are starting from scratch and you haven't bought anything yet.

Out of curiosity, do you ever plan to use your house battery as possibly starting your engine if your starting battery is dead? If so, I would mount it near your existing battery.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
If he was planning on some light background music while quietly trolling for fish on a quiet Tuesday morning, I would agree with you... I don't think that is the case here. If this was a post about aligning an upper and lower gearcase on a 1990 Bayliner, I wouldn't have even read it, because I don't know what I'm talking about. I have however, built several competition ready sound systems, from design to installation. Just sayn' :gossip:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay...seems everybody has their own opinions, and that is fine and not unusual. And I'd equally state that ever person has probably installed their designed sound system and it fit their wants and needs. So do what you want and take any and all "best way advice" with a grain of salt and move on. You'll have a great day...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If he was planning on some light background music while quietly trolling for fish on a quiet Tuesday morning, I would agree with you... I don't think that is the case here.
My crystal ball is broken today so I have no idea what his needs are.

I have however, built several competition ready sound systems, from design to installation. Just sayn' :gossip:
I am an EE that spent most of my career designing DSP with a bunch of time doing design of circuitry linearizing amplifiers so I have a wee bit of knowledge about amplifiers.

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay Bruceb58, I have to apologize here. There was a PM that included some info that you never got to see before chrisj13 posted this on the open forum. I was an ass in my last post. We have different opinions in this matter, and that's okay. Hope I didn't cause any friction...