Power trim concerns

Becauseican

Seaman
I recently aquired a power trim unit to fit my 1973 85 hp evinrude. Hooked it all up and nothing.so i took my test light and tested the wires all the way to the motor and all was good so i'm replacing the motor.My concern is when i went to researching on the motor and wiring all the articles mention cylinoids and relays.This unit came with the wiring harness and all and about midway is a hot and neg wire sticking out that i put to the battery.i did not pull the coating off the harness because its pretty old and dont want to damage it but i'm pretty sure there is nothing in it but wires.my concern is if this wiring setup is going to damage my new motor? its using a 3 way toggle with up,down and middle.also it is a 3 wire motor..i'm thinking its some home made something but is it safe to use? Thanks

64osby

Admiral
Before replacing the motor test it again by connecting the battery directly to it.

Is this a tilt only unit or a tilt and trim unit? Some pictures of what you have would help.

I had a PT&T unit for a 1973 135hp motor. it would be the same for your motor. It came with a solenoid. The solenoid allows for the switch wires to be smaller ( carry lower current). Heavy gauge wires run from the solenoid to the motor on the up side of the harness.

Becauseican

Seaman
No Title

I took the motor to a repair shop he confirmed its no good.I cut the harness open to see how they had it wired.The Ground wire comming out the motor goes to the ground on the battery.Both the Blue and the Green run straight to the Trim switch.Green to the down and blue to the up.The middle Prong has a hot wire running back to the posative on the battery.There are no cylinoids or relays anywhere but all the wire is heavy duty wire.So with the wire being that heavy eliminates needing relays? I'm thinking just put a inline fuse and everything will be ok? Also i'm adding this pic of the unit.You asked if its tilt or tilt/trim? kinda lost me there.if its not tilt/trim i can't tilt the motor up when going across the water? sorry if i sound to lost on that one.

Attachments

• photo215991.jpg
    photo215991.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
That is a tilt only unit, not made for trim. The pressure or force of the motor will be greater than what the cylinder can hold. The motor will return to the down position as you throttle up..

Those typically don't use solenoids on the early units.

Tilt is still very handy when beaching, sand bars and getting on the trailer. I have on on my 90 hp but will be upgrading to a power tilt & trim.

Hope you didn't spend too much on the unit up front.

64osby

Admiral
This is what the power tilt and trim looks like for 1973 85 hp long shaft..

fetch

Last edited: