Fishfinder advice required

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking of upgrading my fishfinder and I have a small wishlist, but I'm unsure of what is available.
I'd like a decent (probably colour) screen, with Side Imaging, but I don't need or want any GPS.
I have my Navionics on my iPad and I find it gives better resolution and image size than any unit I've seen to date and it doesn't make sense to spend the extra $$ for something I don't need.
Are there any brands / models out there that have side imaging, but without GPS?
I've tried looking and Googling and I'd really appreciate some honest, experience based insight!
Thanks for any help!
Kenny

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
As you are probably aware, the mid range units ($) on up usually come with GPS. Having another GPS source is always nice, another speedometer too.. Hummingbird, Lawrence,,, take your pic.. again, the more features you get your more likely to get GPS thrown in too....I'd recommend a min of a 5 inch screen. have fun looking

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Personally I've never used any side scanning Fish Finder/Depth Locator. But I have heard a lot of folks that either love it or would never purchase it again. As usual, it seriously depends on the individual using it. As with most anything, some will swear by it and others see it as a mere gimmick. So I can't make any recommendations one way or the other... Same issue with the newest and latest CHIRP technology too... Some thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread while others think it is merely more gimmicky junk... My only suggestion is to visit a place like Bass Pro, Dicks Sporting Goods, Academy Sporting Store and places like those and seriously talk to the sales people there and get their sales pitch. Bass Pro usually has some tournament folks there that actually use their equipment and can talk about the options a lot better... But do understand, they are also there to sell those products too and can make some of those FF options sound like the best thing going that YOU just can't live without!. JMHO!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What sort of water depth are you going to be working in? The deeper the water the lower the frequency you need. No point in having 50/200KHz if you're only working rivers and streams... Conversely, if you're deep ocean 455KHz is totally useless...

I work up to about 90m (300 feet), but have fishing up to 200m (600 feet) and have an older dual frequency FURUNO FCV600L. The later ones (FCV620) are more digital, and VERY nice, but as a diver one of the things I like that the later ones don't have is a temperature readout. The later ones only have a graph line straight through the middle of the display :facepalm:

firstcatch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Furuno get's my vote. But be ready to shell out some $$$.
Note - Furuno's service is top notch too.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Furuno get's my vote. But be ready to shell out some $$$.
Note - Furuno's service is top notch too.

I use to be a Furuno electronics tech. Fixed and installed all their range, from Radars to sat phones, to sonars, to autopilots, to GPSs, to sounders... While back now, early 90's, before swapping to being a boat engine mechanic... I still don't look at anything other than Furuno when I'm looking for electronics. Once you've seen inside radars that have been on fishing boats for 15 years, you learn which ones can handle it, and which ones can't... ;)

And yes, $$$... But, you get what you pay for. The local lobster fishermen used to complain the whole time about the cost of our gear, but they still bought it.. :D

Chris......

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all of your guys input!
I fish the Lakes up here in BC, which range from 100 to 1000 feet max.
Although I do like the look and specs of the Furuno range, they are a bit pricey for a weekend warrior like me.
Am I right in thinking that, as far as the Side imaging is concerned, the advantage of the GPS is that it can gauge speed and you can mark an area if you want to return to it?
I was looking at something like the Humminbird Helix 5 SI
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-SI-GPS/

Anyone have any opinions on that one?
Thanks,
Kenny

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all of your guys input!
I fish the Lakes up here in BC, which range from 100 to 1000 feet max.
Although I do like the look and specs of the Furuno range, they are a bit pricey for a weekend warrior like me.
Am I right in thinking that, as far as the Side imaging is concerned, the advantage of the GPS is that it can gauge speed and you can mark an area if you want to return to it?
I was looking at something like the Humminbird Helix 5 SI
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-SI-GPS/

Anyone have any opinions on that one?
Thanks,
Kenny

Looks nice with a nice color wide screen, and the specs look good as well, but again having never used any side scan system, I can't go into any real details of how it works. If you like it and it satisfies your needs (wants) then go for it. Only you can make that decision. Now if you want me to try it out, buy it and let me use it for a few years and I can respond with a good very detailed report about it. Let me know so I can PM you my address... :facepalm:

All I can say is it looks pretty good to me! But I'm not you...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Here is a link to a great presentation about how side imaging works,...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If you look at the rest of Jason's videos you'll find the side imaging one,...

UncleWillie

Captain
Keep in mind that the Helix 5 side imaging range is 100 ft. per side. (200ft Total)
In 50ft of water only ~85ft of bottom per side will be reachable. (190ft total)
At 100ft, the bottom will be out of range, but all fish/objects in the water column out to100ft of either side will show.

The Down Imaging features are similar to Side imaging, except the scan is only 60 deg wide instead of 180, but the range exceeds 1500ft.
I have a HB798SI unit with a 240ft SI range. Lake Erie is less than 50ft deep in the Western Half, so it is not an issue for me.
This will be 4th, trouble free year with it.

Look over The Helix 5 Manual Closely to see if it fits your needs.

Last edited: