trolling motor - house battery options

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
currently I have a starting battery for my main outboard and lights and a house battery that runs ff, starts yamaha t8 and a couple other small things.

I was given a 24 volt trolling motor. My question. can i buy one battery more - wire in series with house battery and have 24 volts AND run my house stuff at 12 volts off of one of those batteries? OR do I need to buy two new batteries dedicated to the 24 volt trolling motor?

UncleWillie

Captain
Yes and No!
In theory it will work, in practice there are problems.
The battery you add will want to be a match to your present battery including actual capacity.
If the present battery is 3 years old, you will not want to add a brand new battery that is in much better shape than the old one.
It is preferred that both will be matched Deep Discharge Batteries.
If one is attached to the Sonar and Radio it will be drained faster than the other.
If one is attached to a motor, it will be the only one that gets charged.
If the two batteries are not at the same level of charge the fuller battery will overpower the lesser battery.
This can all be done as long as you keep a voltmeter on both batteries and constantly monitor the imbalance.
Do not let either battery get too much below 12v or it will suffer badly.

Your best bet is to get a matched set of Deep Cell Batteries to run the Troller, and charge them as a pair from shore power.
Move all your minor house loads to the starting battery.
Sonar and minor items will take 10-20 hours to deplete that battery.
A battery switch to parallel one of the deep cells with the starter is cheap insurance in the event that you ever kill the main start battery.
Otherwise if the 8hp Kicker has pull start,
It will get you headed for home and put enough charge the the start battery that after 20-30 minutes it should crank the main engine.

I would jury rig the Troller before you invest in new batteries.
The 8hp gas kicker engine may already perform more to your liking, and be a lot less hassle since you already have it installed.
The cost of a set of batteries may buy more than a few years worth of gas for that kicker.

83mulligan

Unclewillie, i'd never even use it to troll. My only purpose with it would be for boat control on inland lakes and a few trips a year jigging walleyes on the river. I don't want to spend the money or add the weight of two more batteries. My best option is probably to trade it or sell it and buy a 12 volt motor. That would simplify things greatly. The boat is a 17 ft. crestliner and I believe for that purpose one of the 45 ft. lb. 12 volts would work.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You need to be very careful configuring a series system (trolling motor) into a 12 volt charging system. Do it wrong you make sparks and it costs you a fish finder and what other electronics you have on board, not to mention charging system components on your engines. Remember, you are using the house battery to start one engine and the main battery to start the main engine. If those are wired to separate batteries, you automatically by default, connect the positive of one battery to the negative of the other via the engine battery cables and the jumper required for 24 volt troller operation. If you happen to have an aluminum hull (and even if you don't) there is the likelihood you apply 24 volts to one engine or the other. Neither engine nor the attached electronics can stand 24 volts. This technique is dangerous because of the potential ground issue causing the 24 volt path. Ground paths are not formed ONLY by the battery cables. They can be formed when the engines are bolted to the hull, through the boat electrical system, and through the control systems for the engines. Diagram the very simple system you are proposing and you will see the issue.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think your ideas of buying a 12 volt trolling motor and buying one deep cycle battery just for it is your best option. Then you can let everything else setup exactly like it presently is too. Just make sure you charge the trolling motor battery as you use it and not with the engine charging system... JMHO!

83mulligan

I think your ideas of buying a 12 volt trolling motor and buying one deep cycle battery just for it is your best option. Then you can let everything else setup exactly like it presently is too. Just make sure you charge the trolling motor battery as you use it and not with the engine charging system... JMHO!

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning this way. Thank you.

64osby

Admiral
Place a C/L ad to trade your 24 for a 12v. If no one bites, sell the 24 and then buy a 12.