electrical wiring?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello guys and in the middle of fix a lot on my searay 1987 5.7, the engine is out so I been cleaning and rewiring bilge pumps, battery cables, new blower motor, here is my question I have two cables negative and positive from the battery to the fuse box located on the back of the boat, from that box two cables are coming to the front of the boat I cant see where they goes bout they don't go direct to the fuse box located in the front of the cabin that is where the radio, gps, and others accessories are hook in to. My other boat I recalled the cables going straight in to the fuse box at the front, what should be the right way to have this.

alldodge

Staff member
Hello guys and in the middle of fix a lot on my searay 1987 5.7, the engine is out so I been cleaning and rewiring bilge pumps, battery cables, new blower motor, here is my question I have two cables negative and positive from the battery to the fuse box located on the back of the boat, from that box two cables are coming to the front of the boat I cant see where they goes bout they don't go direct to the fuse box located in the front of the cabin that is where the radio, gps, and others accessories are hook in to. My other boat I recalled the cables going straight in to the fuse box at the front, what should be the right way to have this.

If there is two heavy cables (maybe 10 AWG) going forward they should go to either a fuse box or positive and negative buss bars, and the Pos should be fused

wrench 3

Commander
You haven't told us much about the boat. Is there another electrical appliance aft of the forward fuse panel, such as a refrigerator?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hello guys not any electrical appliance use in the boat, the cables will go to the front and then came back to the engine harness on the motor

wrench 3

Commander
I don't know were those two existing wires are going, but hook it up like AllDodge said.
You mentioned a fuse box at the back of the boat. Make sure it's outside of the engine compartment. Most fuses are not explosion proof. Any fuses in the engine compartment must be in a vapor proof holder.