Big problems with my motorguide w75 wireless trolling motor.

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice
So I am having some problems with my motorguide w75 trollingmotor. I purchased the motor just under 2 years ago to be bow mounted on my 18ft spectrum for trolling with my downriggers. The motor worked great at first even though the wireless range isn't the best having the fob in back to control it while running riggers in back was convenient. I think I used the motor maybe 20 times and when I would get home I always took it off the boat and put it in the garage as my boat cover wouldn't fit with it on, and the mount made this very easy. So out of the blue last summer the turning of the motor stopped working which was very irritating but I finished the year with a pusher motor. Yesterday I decided to contact motor guide as I thought I had a 2 year warranty so I called in and 2 different csr's told me sounds like transmission. From what I have read its very common for the transmissions on these to go bad as far as gears stripping but normally they say you can hear grinding when pushing the button. So after registering the the motor I'm told refurbished motors only have a 1 year warranty not the 2 year like new and they will not help me so obviously I'm pissed as I spent 600 dollars and barely used it. I'm told I can buy a transmission for 150.00 as it is only sold as a complete unit not in parts and then drive 2 hours to a service center to get it fixed which with gas and labor I'm sure wouldn't be worth it. So I decided to tear into it myself tonight to see what I find. Once inside all gears look great no binding anywhere so I turn to the small motor that makes it all work. I press the button while watching motor and nothing so I test at the leads to motor with volt meter and when pressing button 13 volts so by all rights it should be spinning. I decide must be motor maybe bad brushes so I take it out and work at pulling back off motor and what I found really irritated me. First thing I notice is all the rust and corrosion inside the motor which is inside the sealed transmissio. On one side one of the springs that push the brushes forward has literally rotted off so no brush contact obviously this is the problem. Now I'm wondering since I see no signs of water in transmission did they leave this crap motor in when the refurbished it. The motor was never even left in the rain since I've owned it. Here are some pics tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• photo214780.jpg
    photo214780.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 6
  • photo214781.jpg
    photo214781.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 6

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

well i fashioned a very crude copy of the other spring from a coil spring from a pen and after reassembling it seemed to hold the brush fine. it was kinda hard to get it back together as far as holding brushes back but some thread seemed to do the trick. hooked it to a battery and it rund good just not sure if i trust it to last.

Attachments

• photo214820.jpg
    photo214820.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

dbrooker707

Recruit
I had the same issue. I ended up just swapping the brush plastic assembly from another Johnson DC motor. Problem solved!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1