best battery for a sound system

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its time for me to get a new primary battery (I have dual batteries). I have a small subwolfer and will be adding 2 more speakers with an amp. My question is, I was thinking of getting 2 batteries to replace the one I have, just a normal 650cca battery.would I be better off doing that or should I get 1 good battery like an optima. Mainly I'm looking for my radio to play for as long as possible

64osby

Admiral
A deep cycle battery would be the best option for a dedicated stereo battery.

alldodge

Staff member
+1 deep cycle and a group 27 or 31 size

Edit: missed your other question. AGM's are great but I wouldn't recommend the Optima, I would go with Odyssey or Lifeline for best performance and longevity. That said you would need a AGM charger if you go AGM, and all batteries would need to be AGM unless they are kept separate. Let your alternator charge the start battery and the charger charge the AGM.

Last edited:

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree about an optima battery.I knew there was a better brand but couldn't remember what the brand was. I would pegged not to have to charge the battery with a charger, if the stock alternater is bit enough then I will get a high output alternater.

Would a deep cycle battery be able to be used as a primary battery?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could buy a generator and play the stereo all day long, or until you run out of gas...

alldodge

Staff member
I agree about an optima battery.I knew there was a better brand but couldn't remember what the brand was. I would pegged not to have to charge the battery with a charger, if the stock alternater is bit enough then I will get a high output alternater.

Would a deep cycle battery be able to be used as a primary battery?

I would stick with two batteries, one starting and one deep cycle. The standard 80amp alt will put out plenty to charge both batteries. The issue is AGM and Lead acid have different change rates and float levels. The AGM will charge faster then lead acid but this would not be a major issue with a boat not using an onboard charger so long as the one is not connected to both.

Don't know what size/type engine you have so unable to suggest a battery size for it. If you installed a battery switch and used a charging relay you could use just the alt to charge both when running. Once at the dock or on the trailer you could use an AGM charger to charge the one battery.
ACR_alternative_to_multiple.jpg

A battery switch (not shown in the above pic) could be used to connect the two batteries together if you could not get the engine started.
It would be best to keep all batteries the same type and also install a 2-bank charger to maintain them

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have 2 Odyssey AGMs in one of my boats. I bought one of the Odyssey recommended chargers for it. It is a dual bank and there is no problem using it to charge an AGM in one bank and a flooded lead acid in another.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY approved 12V chargers (12-23-14).pdf

This is the charger I have
http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.co...dualprops2.htm
http://www.iboats.com/Pro-Charger-Du...iew_id.1185925

Mine are the rebadged Oddysey batteries that Sears sells as their Diehard platinum batteries. Way cheaper to buy them that way. Wait for a sale.

Last edited:

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my boat is a 90 wellcraft eclipse 216 with a 200hp 305 chevy in it. a generator is not really practical. as of now I can get about 2hrs of play time on current batter. (just a standard starting battery).

I do have dual batterys with a switch.

I use my boat 3 sometimes 4 times a week, so I think I would like to stay away from a battery that I would have to charge every time because I don't think I will end up doing it.

I know there are a lot of variables but could some one give me an idea of how much longer a deep cycle battery would last compared to a standard batter? I guess in my head I didn't think they would last that much longer then a normal battery, but I don't know the difference to be honest. please correct me if im wrong.

alldodge

Staff member
my boat is a 90 wellcraft eclipse 216 with a 200hp 305 chevy in it. a generator is not really practical. as of now I can get about 2hrs of play time on current battery. (just a standard starting battery).

I do have dual batterys with a switch.

I use my boat 3 sometimes 4 times a week, so I think I would like to stay away from a battery that I would have to charge every time because I don't think I will end up doing it.

I know there are a lot of variables but could some one give me an idea of how much longer a deep cycle battery would last compared to a standard batter? I guess in my head I didn't think they would last that much longer then a normal battery, but I don't know the difference to be honest. please correct me if im wrong.

With you only getting 2hrs your pulling some serious current out of the battery or your battery is very weak. Your first post stated
I have a small subwolfer and will be adding 2 more speakers with an amp. My question is, I was thinking of getting 2 batteries to replace the one I
So before your battery would last 2hrs and with adding an amp your time will be less.

Starting batteries put out a lot of current real fast for high current draw starts. The starting batteries can not be discharged more then about 60% without getting into possible damage to the battery.

Deep cycle batteries cannot put out high current but can put out sufficient power to run amps and such. They can also be drained down below about 40% without damage.

Deep cycle batteries would be the way to go and you probably need two batteries to replace the one. Suggest two group 31 deep cycle or at least two group 27.

You will need a battery charger because the batteries will normally not have enough time to recharge just running back to the boat ramp

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Even with deep discharge batteries, you should not discharge them more than 50% on a regular basis as that reduces their capacity a lot.

Plan on buying a lot of batteries because the worst thing you can do is to leave it not fully charged. It doesn't matter what type of battery you purchase.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
... If you installed a battery switch and used a charging relay you could use just the alt to charge both when running. Once at the dock or on the trailer you could use an AGM charger to charge the one battery...

The Auto Charging Relay (ACR) Works in both directions.
Like the Alternator, The battery charger would charge Both Batteries.
It Isolates the batteries during discharge to prevent you from killing both batteries, but connects them together during charging of either battery.

A large Deep Cycle for the Audio and a separate Start battery for the engine is the better choice. Less Expensive too!
Unless it takes you many hours to get back to the dock after listening to the tunes, a battery charger used between trips will be a requirement.
A mostly depleted battery may take 4 to 10 hours to completely recharge.
As stated, recharge the battery the same day you run it down, or pay the piper!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is actually best to disable an ACR during battery charging with a dual bank charger if it is at all easy. I do this on my pontoon boat but currently don't do it on my Wellcraft since both batteries are identical in age/brand/type.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The Auto Charging Relay (ACR) Works in both directions.
Like the Alternator, The battery charger would charge Both Batteries.
It Isolates the batteries during discharge to prevent you from killing both batteries, but connects them together during charging of either battery.

Willie, I probably should let it go but when you quote me, your either telling me there is something wrong or something right with the copied posting. Since your posting says nothing about right then I'm left with wrong. Your taking one sib let out of one of my statements (post 6) and trying to make a point to me or something else. Your first comments said the same thing in the rest of the post.

UncleWillie

Captain
Willie, I probably should let it go but when you quote me, your either telling me there is something wrong or something right with the copied posting. Since your posting says nothing about right then I'm left with wrong. Your taking one sib let out of one of my statements (post 6) and trying to make a point to me or something else. Your first comments said the same thing in the rest of the post.

Dodge, I Bolded the sections of your quote that I was referring to.

"If you installed a battery switch and used a charging relay you could use just the alt to charge both when running... "
An ACR will in fact allow the Alternator to charge both batteries while running. (Point: Agreed)

"Once at the dock or on the trailer you could use an AGM charger to charge the one battery... "
The single battery charger as shown in post #6 is going to charge Both Batteries via the ACR, Not just the one Battery. (Point: Disagreed.)

Mixing two different chemistry batteries and trying to charge them independently will be a problem with an ACR in the circuit.