Mercury Instrument Light Change to LED

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of changing out all of my existing interior lights to LED and adding LED strips to the motor compartment and cuddy cabin. I just can't leave well enough alone, so I was thinking about the existing instrument lights and thought it would be nice to brighten them up with some red LED's if possible.

Has anyone changed the standard wedge bulbs in your Mercury instruments (Flagship) to LED? If so, does anybody have idea what LED bulb replaces the Merc instrument bulb 88-898139001 or at least I could find them? Only thing found on the OEM bulb is LH 12v 3w, so would any 12v 3w wedge led lamp work as long as it's the correct size, style and wattage?

alldodge

Staff member
I am in the process of changing out all of my existing interior lights to LED and adding LED strips to the motor compartment and cuddy cabin. I just can't leave well enough alone, so I was thinking about the existing instrument lights and thought it would be nice to brighten them up with some red LED's if possible.

Has anyone changed the standard wedge bulbs in your Mercury instruments (Flagship) to LED? If so, does anybody have idea what LED bulb replaces the Merc instrument bulb 88-898139001 or at least I could find them? Only thing found on the OEM bulb is LH 12v 3w, so would any 12v 3w wedge led lamp work as long as it's the correct size, style and wattage?

Haven't replaced incandescent (IN) to LED's at the helm but some thoughts to keep in mine; LED's are brighter then IN for the same wattage. May only need a 1/8W LED to meet 3W IN. Don't want it to bright even with red at night, will look great but may have trouble seeing. Red is a good night color

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks AD, I am keeping that in mind. I found some that will work. These are specifically designed for instruments, however, I don't know exactly how bright they will be till I get them installed. I really want blue LEDs, but I fear that they will be too bright. Red is generally considered the better color for night time use.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Curious why you would bother. You have lights burning out?

I understand interior lights because of the power and they are run when the boat is not on.

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
No lights burning out and no reason in particular. Re wired my trailer in LED, cockpit area is wired LED, currently wiring cuddy cabin and motor compartment in LED, so I just decided to do the instruments as well. It's been a boring cruddy winter and I just need something to do to keep busy. Just hoping it will turn out the way I would like. If so, it will be sweet looking and if not, I can always go back to old school incandescent bulbs in about 5 minutes.