trolling motor grind

bass hunter 28

Recruit
I have a 1996 Lowe boat that came with a Johnson trolling motor. I'm thinking it's newer. I took it out the other day and noticed a loud grinding noise but only when I turn left or right. What gives?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Chances are the shaft of the motor is simply rubbing on the something on the boat and what you hear is noise being transferred to the boat. Turn the prop by hand (power disconnected please if you value your fingers). You should feel a slight jerkiness but that's normal. You don't want to feel roughness such as a rough bearing. Remove the prop and check for fish line wrapped around the shaft.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all, welcome to iboat. We like having new folks join us... :welcome:

Does the "grinding" sound come from the actual foot (motor) section? If so it could be time for new brushes, or bearings and seals and such. There really isn't much else in the motor foot section but the armature, brushes and brush holder, and of course bearings and seals. And all those things are still available. If not from the actual manufacture, certainly from after market parts. Most brushes, bearings and seal are standardized. Trolling motor manufacture will use off-the-shelf standardized bearings and seal to keep manufacturing cost down. So those shouldn't be too hard to find, if needed... Let us know about where the sound is coming from. You can also manually turn the prop by hand (but not connected to power) and feel if it is grinding. That will tell you for certain if there is any problems. You should only feel the magnet pull as you rotate the prop. Any grinding or excessive endplay in the prop shaft, and that IS your problem. JMHO!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Mine started doing that and it turned out to be a broken magnet. I had hit one too many trees with it. Hope yours is just something simple.