Fish Finder Technology goes smartphone?

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, so I've been poking around Ebay for a while scanning deals for a fish finder for next years fishing adventures. I know nothing about fish finders. What I am seeing trending right now, is the wifi transducer/smartphone combo up and coming! Does anybody have feedback on this? It makes sense if you have a smartphone, and no fish finder. Simply buy a transducer with wifi, and use your smartphone or tablet for the head unit. I'm not really a tech guy, but this makes $en$e to me if you know what I mean. Feedback please! Anybody tried this?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm sure new innovative ideas will never end, and shouldn't either, and that includes fish finders/depth locators and chart plotters. We presently see GPS combined with such devices and certainly more technology will come about. But knowing my limitations with such NEW ideas comes the ability to utilize them efficiently. And that is my limitations in a nut shell. I want to go fishing, so I want to basically leave so many things behind and enjoy the easy peaceful environment of being out on the water and challenging the fish's abilities against mine. If I have to take all these new tech toys along, then it turns into more possible problems then enjoyment. But I'm sure others will see it differently... I'm old school on such things... If I'm going to enjoy the newly invented tech toys, it has to be simple that I could operate them without any issues or confusion. We all see such high tech in the new fish finder models to the point that most will never understand all the capabilities their new fish finder has available presently. And the is because they are too complicated to operate easily and so the owner will only use the basics and never get too involved with all the abilities. Even the owner's manuals don't cover everything because to do so would lead to publishing a book. And we see aftermarket videos to show their capabilities as well. The actual fishing is more important to me then having the latest and greatest deemed by folks the grow up with such evolving abilities. Besides I'm still using an old flip-phone with no plans to upgrade.... JMHO!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I like the idea, but I don't want to take my smart phone fishing with me. That way work cant find me! I do have my dumb phone with me so the Admiral can find me, and I can call for help when my stuff breaks!

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ha ha ha! As a business owner, I have learned that just because it rings, don't mean ya have to answer it! Around here, there is no service on the lakes, so it's a no brainier. The downside is, the larger boatable lakes are over fished. If you want to catch fish, you have to know where they are. If they're at 75ft, you need a finder to find 'em, and a downrigger to get there. OR, you can go to Wyoming where nobody lives. :-D

rickryder

Commander
I like the idea, but I don't want to take my smart phone fishing with me. That way work cant find me! I do have my dumb phone with me so the Admiral can find me, and I can call for help when my stuff breaks!

All you need is a tablet and a waterproof case ;)

Tnstratofam

Commander
All you need is a tablet and a waterproof case ;)

That would make a nice fathers day gift. Maybe I can convince the Admiral to get "Us" one.:D

Back to the topic at hand, a coworker of mine is in a bass fishing club that has some members who have used a setup like this before. I will ask him tomorrow how they like them versus the traditional fish finders. I'll report back tomorrow.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Okay so here is what I've uncovered so far. No one in the fishing club has taken the plunge and bought anything yet. They all saw a demo using a wifi transducer with an ipad, and were impressed by it's ability to track in real time a jig being fished off a pontoon in about 50 feet of water. My coworker stated it was pretty detailed, and seemed to show the action of the lure very well. Now the only drawbacks to this setup that was demonstrated was the need for cellular signal so the gps, and way point features could function together. The fish finder, and way point features can be used without a cell service, but mapping is limited so an unfamiliar lake's map would have to be downloaded beforehand I guess. The biggest reason none of the boaters in the club haven't jumped on board so to speak is fear of spotty service on the lakes here in the mountains.

I'm sorry I don't have more to tell. I guess it's technology that needs some time in the real world before anyone I know will try it out for themselves. My coworker summed it up best when he said " Most fisherman I know won't try new stuff until the boat coming in next to them at the ramp is full of fish! Then they'll be first in line for the new gadgets so they can out fish the next boat."

Fed

Commander
You don't need cell coverage for the mapping, Navionics runs on your phone/tablet GPS.
What you see on the Navionics Web App is what you will get on your phone/tablet.
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en
The Navionics app ranges from about $10-$50 (depending on the phone/tablet) to purchase.

The free SonarPhone app is available to download & try before purchasing the wifi transducer.

I believe it comes in one app for apple based phones/tablets including split screen but for android you have to get two apps but it's very easy to flip from one screen to the other.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My Google Nexus 7 has GPS in it and it is a WiFi only tablet.

However, using it as a fishfinder wouldn't even be an option to me. There is so much signal processing going on with dedicated hardware, it is pretty much useless to expect the same performance as a dedicated fish finder unless you are comparing performance to a $100 fish finder.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, so here is another question... What would be a good entry level fish finder for our family? Lets say between $200 and $300. The lakes we fish are generally less than 300 ft. deep, I plan on getting a couple of down riggers for my wife and I as well. I wouldn't be opposed to an older unit if it worked right and had a manual and transducer. I have very little experience with fish finders. In fact, I've only used one 3 times, and I was just along for the ride.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The Lowrance Elite5x sonar is a good unit, A bit more money than your looking to spend though,...

And if yous went that far I would suggest the Elite 5 sonar/gps combo for the extra hundred bucks or so,........

Check around with on-line retailers, Sales should be on right about now,...

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, a quick search on EBAY brings up many of those units... some without transducers, and that brings up a true rookie question. I know my boat has a transom mounted transducer already on it. How do I know what it's compatible with, or should I throw it away and shop for the complete package?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just picked up a Garmin 551DV for my pontoon boat. Haven't tried it yet but it got good reviews.

$286 shipped.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Okay, a quick search on EBAY brings up many of those units... some without transducers, and that brings up a true rookie question. I know my boat has a transom mounted transducer already on it. How do I know what it's compatible with, or should I throw it away and shop for the complete package?

Myself, I'd take the old one off, UNLESS I knew what it worked with,.......

I'd buy a new setup complete,.......

northroad

Recruit
Navionics is great, but for me Spyglass is the best. It costs 3.99 and all updates are free. I use it as a backup navigation and like to mark my secret fishing places. It works as a ship's compass, a bearing compass and sextant (without the math), as well as a GPS. It makes a great introduction to celestial navigation, and it is accurate enough to be a seriously useful tool.https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglas...t=11lLc7&ct=fs