Tilt and Trim keeps going up on its on???

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gentlemen on my 2011 evinrude etc 50hp, I have (3) trim buttons. one on side of motor, second on the tiller handle and third is upfront. I belive the one up front some how got bumped, shorted for a little while as its the only one that i missed with that would stop the motor from going up.

My question is has anyone every had a switch hang, short for a moment etc... That it was just that and didnt need to be changed? I glad I was at home as it raised my motor all the way up and keep trying to pick it up even though it was tapped out going up. It was either going to run down the battery or burn the pump up.

Any help would be great on the matter or suggestions. thaks

alldodge

Staff member
Gentlemen on my 2011 evinrude etc 50hp, I have (3) trim buttons. one on side of motor, second on the tiller handle and third is upfront. I belive the one up front some how got bumped, shorted for a little while as its the only one that i missed with that would stop the motor from going up.

My question is has anyone every had a switch hang, short for a moment etc... That it was just that and didnt need to be changed? I glad I was at home as it raised my motor all the way up and keep trying to pick it up even though it was tapped out going up. It was either going to run down the battery or burn the pump up.

Any help would be great on the matter or suggestions. thaks

I haven't ever tried it. Once a switch goes bad it may clear up but I would not trust it again. Switches are pretty cheap, the issue may be that yours is hard to come by and therefore a bit more expensive. I would replace it even if it did cost, replacing a battery, pump or boat if it caught fire would be more

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I haven't ever tried it. Once a switch goes bad it may clear up but I would not trust it again. Switches are pretty cheap, the issue may be that yours is hard to come by and therefore a bit more expensive. I would replace it even if it did cost, replacing a battery, pump or boat if it caught fire would be more

Thanks for the info and the help. Thank goodness i have a shutoff device that lets me turn my power onto off, one and 2 items. So I am just going to keep it off till needed. The only time it would be a concern would be running down the river and the switch short out or act up again and the motor start picking up as i am driving it. I will have to research the switch and see how much it is vs how hard to change out. BOAT.. Brake Out Another Thosand... LOL