Driving lights questions

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an older pontoon boat and catfish a lot at night. I fish in both lakes and rivers and was thinking about adding a driving light to help keep me from hitting anything floating in the water. I have seen other boats with spot lights and flood lights and was wandering which would be best. I only have a 40hp motor so don't run very fast. And usually, I am just idling along. I was thinking an LED light would be less drain on the batteries which I think is a good idea. The light itself is another issue. I would like something that stays looking decent. It will be mounted under the aluminum deck so has to be water tight.

I have seen some high dollar remote control lights that are very nice but much more than I want to spend so just a decent priced light would be more of what I want.

Those are the parameters I can think of. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. If you know of a good thread, website or light, please provide info to get me to it. Your knowledge is also important so I will know what would be best.

Thanks Tom

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They are docking lights, not driving lights and are only allowed to be used when docking. It is illegal to use them any other time.

jhebert

Ensign
They are docking lights, not driving lights and are only allowed to be used when docking. It is illegal to use them any other time.

Is that true in EVERY state Bruce?

When declaring something to be "illegal" it is generally appropriate to cite some sort of rule or regulation that governs. Bruce's statement is hard to evaluate since it lacks any sort of citation of a source of authority. I have never heard of the rule he suggests.

In general, you can display any sort of lights on your boat you wish, as long as you comply with the navigation rules. RULE 20 covers the lights. It simply says:

"The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out."

http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule20

One often sees ships directing a spotlight beam forward while underway. However, vessels do not proceed underway with the equivalent of car headlamps illuminating their path.

It is very unusual for a state to impose rules about navigation that contradict the federal regulations.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, don't see any extra lights being illegal, maybe the use of. Like if the lights were used and blinded other boaters, maybe. If this was the case then all those folks putting led's all around could be cited. Cruse ships are so lit up that you can hardly make out the red/green.

As for your original question, there are many lights out there and the cost are from cheap to real expensive. I would suggest led because your motor doesn't have an alternator large enough to power much more. Look for how many lumens they put out and go with 300 or more

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting topic and I have to keep up with this one to see how it works out. I've been on the lakes (and river unfortunately) and personally I can't see (literally) how anybody can navigate in such night time situations without some visibility to be able to avoid things floating in the water and the actual shore line some times. So I was going to equip my boat with some type LED flood/spot type light as well for such navigation issues... So maybe I don't understand ALL the laws myself!

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
... I have never heard of the rule he suggests. ...

Uh, didn't you just quote it?

"... during such times NO OTHER LIGHTS SHALL BE EXHIBITED (emphasis mine), except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out." ...

I didn't see spot lights, docking lights, driving lights or any of the like specified in the rule linked. Just because someone who supposedly knows better does it, does not make it "legal". A spotlight that can be used to scan the horizon may be of benefit to "keeping a proper look-out" but the way I read the rule when it or any other light not specified interferes with with those specified (navigation and/or anchor lights generally) its use is not permitted. "Driving" lights would especially interfere with navigation lights and would therefore be "illegal" to use. Put them all over your boat if you wish, just do not use them.

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Woo boys, rein her in a little. Bruce, thanks for the comment and I will say I am in Indiana and have seen both while on the water. My use of the term driving light was misleading. I have been on the water many nights and have seen other use a flash light to ease along. I have seen fixed lights both flood and spot light. Almost always coming on for a moment then being turned out. When I see that, I think, there is a boat owner that is not sure of what is in front of him and he doesn't want to damage his boat. I have been on some big rivers before when the water was rising and you had better be careful. I respect that. I never want my boats damaged either. Then on occasion, there is the boater that has the brightest lights available and he has them on the entire time. When those lights are on, I don't know whether I am on his starboard or port because the bright lights make it impossible to see any navigation lights on the vessel. That I do not respect and going a little further, I think that boater is being down right disrespectful to others. Something like the cars that drive through the parking lot and stop when their high beam headlights are pointing straight at you. Then just set there like they are doing you a favor. I should probably carry some rocks in the boat but I probably could not reach them.

I know the lights main purpose is for docking or putting your boat on the trailer but on occasion, it is nice to take a look at what is in the water directly in front of you and I would have no problem using a handheld or fixed light in this manner. Or to find a navigation buoy. Each can agree or disagree with my thoughts. That is their option.

​Thanks everyone
Tom

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Dag nab it, just when it started getting good :popcorn: I was all ready for the throw down

Have a good one Tom :D

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I saw it coming too AllDodge. But it just did not seem right being the day after Christmas an all. :lol:

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the information AllDodge about the 300 lumens minimum. I was leaning heavy toward the LED type because of the low power draw. If anyone has a specific light to recommend and wants to tell me why you like it, that would be a help. I am putting it on a pontoon boat and think just under the front deck would be good because of the limited glare. All ideas are appreciated.

Tom

airshot

Rear Admiral
I am from Ohio and boat on lake erie/ Maumee river in Toledo. When returning from the 4th of july fireworks celebration the coast guard ordered all lights except red/green navigation lights to be turned off. I do have a remote spot light on my boat and the river was full of debris from a recent heavy rain and I questioned the coast guard officer as to the legality of lights other than red/green navigation lights. I was told that white lights are to be used for docking purposes and you must be within 100 yds of your dock and only at dead idle speed. Any use of forward facing white lights in a navigable waterway was against the law. He said a quick flash of the white light to check for objects in the water would probably be dismissed as long as it was being used at a slow speed. But any type of continuous operation of any light except red/green navigation lights facing forward would be illegal, hand held or otherwise. That came from the horses mouth so to speak......

NYBo

Admiral
"The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out."

http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule20
Ruining your night vision might be considered interfering with the keeping of a proper look-out. Having such lights positioned so that they shine in the eyes of other boat operators would definitely be considered so.

bassman284

Commander
I am from Ohio and boat on lake erie/ Maumee river in Toledo. When returning from the 4th of july fireworks celebration the coast guard ordered all lights except red/green navigation lights to be turned off. I do have a remote spot light on my boat and the river was full of debris from a recent heavy rain and I questioned the coast guard officer as to the legality of lights other than red/green navigation lights. I was told that white lights are to be used for docking purposes and you must be within 100 yds of your dock and only at dead idle speed. Any use of forward facing white lights in a navigable waterway was against the law. He said a quick flash of the white light to check for objects in the water would probably be dismissed as long as it was being used at a slow speed. But any type of continuous operation of any light except red/green navigation lights facing forward would be illegal, hand held or otherwise. That came from the horses mouth so to speak......
Ayuh, that's pretty much how I understand it and I don't think it is state specific. In other words, universal. Give me some time, I'll look it up.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
just drive slow enough if you do hit something you won't do real damage? Like idle speed?

alldodge

Staff member
When overcast and no moon, the Tow boats on the Ohio river have spot lights on all night. When in the USCG my buoy tender (Cutter Gasconade) also used the spots all night long on the Missouri river. Your suppose to go slow at night.and if your going slow and you hit something, there should be no damage.