Fuse board or circuit breakers

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an older Tracker Pontoon boat that is in good condition. It has the stock fuse box but I am thinking about upgrading to a circuit breaker system. I am capable of wiring the system my self but would like to hear some thoughts of others on making this change. Is there a big benefit to changing to a circuit breaker system or is the fuse system just as good? Also if anyone has any recommendation on what the best quality circuit breaker system is, I would be interested in that also. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Tom

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
How many fuses have you blown? Seems like waste of money to me. Just carry some spares and enjoy the days. No benefit I can think of , you still have to find the cause and fix it either way.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have both on my boat......Unless you want to carry spare circuit breakers and deal with flaky circuit breakers at the absolute worst time, stick with fuses

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On the engines themselves, Volvo uses circuit breakers. Does that tell you something about reliability? The only disadvantages of circuit breakers is cost and size. On a console panel, I use fuses because of size.

Last edited:

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks all for the responses. To answer some of the questions, I have not blown any fuses. The only problems I seem to have is a couple of the spade crimp on connectors don't always make good contact. That could be fixed by just cleaning the terminals good and then using an anti corrosion compound. The fuse box or board to be more specific is under the console and that is where I store my big tackle box. I am always worried about damaging something when I slide the large tackle box back into the rectangular opening. I could either move the fuse board or attach something over it to prevent it from being struck. Thank you all for the input. I will keep the fuses and just clean the contacts well before protecting them from corrosion and add something across the top to protect it.

The connection that seems to bother me the most is the switch on the instrument panel that raises and lowers the engine. The terminals are not making good contact so the engine will go down but does not make contact to raise the engine. I am sure it is the wire connector on the outside of the switch and not the internal contacts. Just a little cleaning and maintenance. Other than that, I am good to go. The prior owner did add some wire and where he needed 1 foot he added 4 feet. I will probably shorten those wires up so they don't look like a birds nest.

Thanks again
Tom

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I haven't been an iboater for too many season now and the Fuse Circuit Breaker issue rises its head again... I contemplate that same quagmire myself because it is getting time to settle on one or the other to manufacture my panel plates shortly. I've research both 'til I'm tired of reading about them now and I see it as a coin toss. Fuses can get dissimilar corrosion with them but are better at blowing at their specified rating. Circuit Breakers are only listed as a possible breaking value. Circuit breakers can break at much higher then listed amperages. It all depends on the manufacture's tolerances for those break points and where they are used. And Circuit Breakers also get corrosion in them over time. However, fuse are a one time event and then need to be changed...DUH! Circuit Breakers can easily be reset. But after a few times resetting breakers they can change their break values as well. I may go with fuses and here is my opinion with them. You get good screw in fuse holders, they have a water tight seal and therefore protect them somewhat from corrosion. But make very sure you carry every size on you panel for spares. A lot of folks don't and when one blows they put a higher value one in its place. That IS asking for serious problems down the road for certain. It usually is a "I'll use this higher fuse rating now to get in but change it afterwards" scenario. But too many time we forget. If you are conscience of such, fuses are the better. If not, go circuit breakers and replace as needed. Both have great points and not so great points...hence a coin toss!