noisey cruiseair a/c compressor

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it common to replace the a/c compressor? I have an hvac guy that said no problem. My compressor is noisey. Works fine, but bothers me. It's a 1999. Just wondering. I in no way need a complete new unit for 2500.00! I don't see them in parts sections or talked about.....

Thanks in Advance.

Thalasso

Commander
What you need to look at. Is the compressor of the old vintage (scroll) and what type of freon does it need. Some freons might not be available to you.
Get the serial number/model from the compressor and call. I'll bet your into $6-700 Dometic Corporation LLCMarine Division

2000 N. Andrews Ave.
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
USA
Tel: +1 954 973 2477

Maybe you can have it rebuilt. Probably just bearings

Last edited:

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I have R22 and plenty of it. I didn't know they came apart. I thought it was a sealed unit. Thanks for the tip. I need to get the numbers off it and get the unit pulled out so i can see it better. It's shoehorned in under the bed!

I just can't see replacing the entire unit which works fine for a noisey compressor....

Tnstratofam

Commander
Have you checked the pressures on the unit? Compressors will get noisy with age, and 14 years is getting some age on it. If there is a problem in the refrigeration circuit somewhere your replacement compressor will become noisy in short order.

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. Good thought but already covered that. Nothing grounded out! As an auto mechanics, first thing I thought of and hoped for! I'm going to pull the unit out in the next weeks and take a better look at what all is involved with replacing the comp.

Thanks