swap drive units on a minn kota ??

TheBrit

Recruit
we have just upgraded our boat to a 16' deep v smokercraft which came with a bow mount minn kota powerdrive v2 with #40 thrust.

our other boat which we will sell in the spring has a transom mount minn kota endura #55 thrust.

is it possible to swap the bottom ends over?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure on the exact models you're dealing with, but if they both have the same diameter shafts, then I don't see why not. The shafts are usually threaded in to the motor housings and probably even glued or sealed with some type adhesive too to keep water intrusion out. But unless you totally understand the electrical wiring in both units, it could be more then you want to tackle. I've rebuilt a few trolling motors now from top to bottom and they really are not that difficult. But a good understand of both the wirings of each is a real good idea so you will know where each wire goes. You could also just change the top units if the shafts are the same. Just an idea...

TheBrit

Recruit
the shafts seem to be the same size.

I've replaced the top switch and magnet housing on the endura before so am reasonable on the wiring, just didn't realize that the bottom unit was screwed on to the shaft. The parts diagrams "seem" to gel apart from the bottom end which is bigger because of the increased size for the motor.

looks like I might be good to go ?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The reason I say they are threaded is because they sell replacement shafts for every unit made that I know about anyway. So the ones I've worked on were threaded types. So I'm assuming all are thread. But check for a replacement shaft to actually see if it has threads before tearing into it...