Stereo guru help needed!

crazybry79

Cadet
I havery a 1989 Formula 29pc with a factory stereo that is in dire need of an update - it's impossible to find Brittany Spears on cassette!

I thought I knew what I wanted, then I started planning and now I've gotten a bit out of control / out of my knowledge base. So for the sake of this project - just assume I have NO clue what I'm doing.

Here's what I have:
head unit is in the cabin. There is no factory amp whatsoever. There are (6) 6.5" speakers - 2 in the cabin over the dinnette, 2 in the radar arch, and 2 under the center "L" seat in the cockpit. (I'll try to add a photo). The 2 cabin speakers havery a rheostat that controls their volume, and the 4 cockpit speakers have their own rheostat.

Here's what I want:
New head unit
4 new cockpit speakers
1 sub under "L" seat
amp
The 2 original speakers in the cabin to be operable but do NOT need to be amplified, would also like them to be controlled by their rheostat.
Wired remote at the helm for the head unit.

Here's where I get sketchy on my knowledge...
I would like to add (2) transom speakers, preferably amplified, and I would prefer to have a separate control for the volume of the transom speakers. I must also have the control to shut off the transom speakers.

We don't listen to rap or hip hop - more classic rock, journey, maybe a lil Eminem. More midrange and treble, but we do ask for some respectable bass - we don't need to rattle the emblems off, but I do like to feel my tunes.

For the cockpit speakers, I kind of have a chubby for the polk mm651 speakers -http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA2651-A-6-5-Inch-Speaker/dp/B001C3P6FI
I would like to use those for the transom speakers as well, unless someone has better ideas. The only reason for the polks, I've just read better reviews on them than like the JL marine 6.5s

I was thinking something along a JL 1000 watt 5 channel amp for the cockpit speakers, 1 channel for each 6.5, the 1 channel for a 10" enclosed sub.
http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-Channel-System-Amplifier/dp/B00E9BXS1E
Not set on that....just thinking out loud.

BUT then I decided to put in the 2 transom speakers. Since I need the volume to be easily controlled separately, I really didn't know which way to go on this.

Any ideas?

Slip Away

Lieutenant
JL amp is good, but you can find Class D amps for a lot less $$$$.
For HU, get a Fusion or Alpine with multiple zone capability, that way you can control all zones, with or without
amp connected from the helm remote.

Polk speakers are a good choice. Or the Infinity 612M, which I prefer for less cost and overall sound and power handling.

thumpar

Admiral
If you are not running in salt just get regular care audio equipment. There is no real need for "Marine". It just doubles the price and limits your options.

crazybry79

Cadet
I had wondered about the marine rating. We never ever see salt. But, the cockpit speakers do have a good chance of getting wet. Will that matter?

I'll have to read up on the multi zone hu. Never heard of it, but sounds interesting!

alldodge

Staff member
I had wondered about the marine rating. We never ever see salt. But, the cockpit speakers do have a good chance of getting wet. Will that matter?

I'll have to read up on the multi zone hu. Never heard of it, but sounds interesting!

If speakers have a chance of getting wet then use marine. Car audio can not handle the wet. Also no need to get real high in quality output with a boat when dealing with total harmonic distortion and the like. It's in a boat and no way to control your environment, also most are using MP3 and that wipes out many of the outside tones for compression

Slip Away

Lieutenant
You do need marine rated speakers, because they will get wet. If your HU is inside out of the elements, no need for marine rated stuff, except for wiring.

thumpar

Admiral
I have 4 high end JBL 6x9s that are just regular car audio in my boat. They are all just above the floor and can get small splashes of water. They handle it just fine. Just make sure you don't get speakers with paper cone. There are also some speakers out there that don't specifically say "Marine" but are marine rated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Have you seriously thought about just humming a tune while cruising? Think of all the money you could save... Okay just a thought!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I just went through this game last yr what a adventure.

1. Head unit Clarion CMD-6 if you can find one
2. Amps Infinity Kappa 4 amp 4 channel class d one of the best and the price is extremely good
3 Sub amp Infinity Kappa one mono amp
4 Polk 6.5 coaxial...there not the MM's but the sound is as smooth and as good with medium power it really takes big power and high volume level's to get the mm's up to there potential...I truly believe there design is for the wake board racks and sustained high volume...I have both it's confusing. The little coax polks complimented with a good sub are extraordinary for the cost Polk has come a long way over the years a long way.
5.Jl's new low profile subwoofer again extraordinary for what they are and what they can do and I am not one to blow money on a name.

The spkr's are all marine rated the amps no and is not a big deal unless your at sea salt water enviroments play utter hell on electronic's

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Polk 651's are car audio speakers that are marine rated! I've got those in both of my boats, 12 speakers total. Great sound, and they stand up well!

Jaydubyam

Recruit
I just installed a new system in my boat. I didn't amplify anything but the sub. A good quality head unit with quality speakers will give you plenty of sound with the sub filling in the low thump frequencies.