Upgrading Audio System

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at upgrading the audio system on a SeaRay 225 BR. I've never set up a system before so hopefully I can get some answers on doing this.

Currently I have the following components:

Kenwood KMR-D5558BT HU http://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/marine/kmr-d558bt/
(4)Infinity 612M speakers http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LNEWh5MS0Mv/p_108612M/Infinity-612M.html

I would like to add an amp and a sub to this and may try the diy sub route to keep cost down as I'm just looking for some decent sound at lower volume levels.
I have an old Rockford punch 400.4 amp that I pulled from an old car system years ago.

Manufacture specs...
RFG 1400A
Punch 400.4
4-channel "Punch" Amplifier.
Output Power
(4 ohms)
50W x 4.
Output Power
(2 ohms)
100W x 4.
Output Power Bridged
(4 ohms)
200W x 2.
Distortion Max
(4 ohms)
0.05%.
Frequency Response
(+/- 0.5dB)
20Hz - 20kHz.
Signal to Noise
(A-weighted)
>100dB.
Input Sensitivity (+0dB gain overlap)
150mV - 3V.
Bridgeable.
Pass-thru capacity.
4 Xcard capacity.

My questions are: is this amp suitable for the application?, I'm not sure how a 4 channel amp would be used for the speakers listed. I have room for a 18"w x 18"l x 14"h sub box .

Thanks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So that is a fairly good amp. I'm still using the older version of that (with the rounded endcaps) in one of my vehicles. Mine is 23 years old and still sounds far better then a new amp! I'm not a fan of those speakers though, so an amp won't help a great deal. (for future reference, Polk 651's are about the best/cheapest speakers you can get. They are not sold for marine use, which automatically doubles the price, but they are actually marine rated.

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok thanks, reviews were good and the price seemed right. I'm stuck with them for the time being. Hopefully they are better than the originals:

Can I drive all 4 speakers and a sub with this amp? Would placing a single speaker up in the front of the bow have any advantage?

thumpar

Admiral
A 4 channel amp is not ideal in your situation unless you want to add 2 subs off the amp and run the polks off the deck or run the polks off the amp (overkill for them) and get a mono amp for the sub. On my boat we have 4 higher end JBL 6x9s off a Crossover amp. You would be surprised how much bass 4 6x9s can produce and the 6" holes can be cut of fit 6x9s.