** CONNECTING MERCURY TILT TRIM MOTOR WIRING **

jhpichner

Cadet
Good Morning all!! Well, I bought my son and I a bass boat with a Mercury 175 Black Max ( I think its a mid 90's ) The ONLY thing I had to replace was the motor for the tilt trim. I bought one online, have tested it and it does work. The only thing I have to go off of to connect all the wires is 3 pics from the previous owner pre-disconnecting it from the solenoids. It's a 3 wire and I've attached pics of the new motor and the old one hooked up to the pump. I am getting power to the selonoids as they are clicking when I try to use the trim switch at the steering wheel. Im by NO means a boat mechanic nor do I really know ANYTHING about electrical. PLEASE HELP SO I CAN GET THIS KID ON THE WATER ( last year he was AZ's Angeler Of The Year for BAss Masters Jr. and he's jonesin to get his fish on ) Screenshot_2014-11-21-19-55-14.jpg IMG_0081 (1).jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... On the motor, the black wire is ground, the blue wire is Up, Sky blue, 'n the green wire is down, green grass,....

jhpichner

Cadet
Why thanks Bondo!! Where do I ground the motor? Somewhere on the solenoid? Again, it was a spaghetti western of un-connected wires when I got it ( with all the solenoid wire etc.) I think I'm super close......

Bondo

Staff member
Why thanks Bondo!! Where do I ground the motor? Somewhere on the solenoid? Again, it was a spaghetti western of un-connected wires when I got it ( with all the solenoid wire etc.) I think I'm super close......

Ayuh,.... It sure is,... There's a big red power wire, 'n there should be a big black ground wire, that both attach to the battery,....

Hook the motor's ground wire to the terminal of the battery's ground wire,...

Not sure 'bout the Mercury outboard forum, but in the Merc I/O forum, at the top is Don'S Adults Only section,...
In there are links to Merc manuals, which cover that wirin',....(I/O trim pumps, 'n outboard trim pumps are the same, or similar)
In the same manual link are manuals to some of the outboards as well,....