Tower Speaker Help

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to find a decent set up. I don't need to be heard across the lake. Just looking for a little more help enhancing the tunes out on the water. The link below is something that I have come across but there are not any reviews to read. Can anyone chime in on it or point me in another direction? The price in the link is for $370 so looking to stay around that probably not go much higher.

http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Kic...KM6000-AMP.htm

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I am trying to find a decent set up. I don't need to be heard across the lake. Just looking for a little more help enhancing the tunes out on the water. The link below is something that I have come across but there are not any reviews to read. Can anyone chime in on it or point me in another direction? The price in the link is for $370 so looking to stay around that probably not go much higher.

http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Kic...KM6000-AMP.htm

Since your asking for opinions I'll offer one. Kicker is crud, it's all marketing hype and flashy websites. I;m not a stereo expert but have installed several in cars and boats. Do the research or I would suggest calling Crutchfield and ask there folks for some recommendations. While they want to sell you something, they know their stuff.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
I used to sell and install audio equipment for a living. I think that what you are looking at is a bit overpriced for what you are getting. Crutchfield is a good source, I also like rock the boat and others. Are you only looking for the tower or overall sound system. I went with 4 inch speakers on the tower, 6x9 In the side bolsters and 10" sub woofers. I spent less than $300 stick with polypropylene speakers. I recommend keep shopping.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really just looking for tower speakers. I have the original 4 that are in the boat and sound pretty good but just want a little more. Is an AMP a must when adding tower speakers? As you can tell I know nothing about speakers/amps.

alldodge

Staff member
I would not use those, they show that the Cone material - metallic injection, not poly. Your going to need an amp for any other reason to up the volume. Speakers are directional so they get pointed toward your ears. Tower speakers when running are mainly to send the sound to the guy on the board, and everyone else your passing by. Your speakers need to be able to handle more power then your amp can produce. To be happy with what you bought, your probably going to spend more then your looking at now. Your also really going to want a sub, then goes the question of where to put it.

alldodge

Staff member

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the input alldodge. The second set up speakers you listed the cone material is also metallic injection. Are you saying to stay away from the material?

alldodge

Staff member
Yep my bad, I have some of the metallic (Clarion, my Bose are poly cone) on my cruiser but was taking kmarine's lead about the poly. Assuming he knows more about the latest make up so didn't want to say no unless I knew. Never know might have misread and he may have meant the housing. HMaybe Kmainre will come back and clarify

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Metalic injection speakers are polypropylene with metallic dyes for coloring, not affected by water. I have a boss audio amp 4 Chanel powering my subs and tower. I think they are the most affordable amp medium quality without the marketing hype of other brand names. Keep in mind how much power you are consuming so you don't destroy the alternator, I recommend beefing up your batteries whenever adding amps. Like adding a second battery or upgrading to a larger battery. There are more options now than ever including separate lithium ion agm or spiral cell technology. How many hours if any do you use the stereo without the engine running?

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say a couple hours. Right now without the extra speakers and amp I worry so I usually try to start the engine for a little bit when we are anchored just to be sure.

alldodge

Staff member
Installed a system in my Rinker many years ago. Installed a second battery (did not use Optima) using an isolator from the alternator. Ran a 10AWG from the second battery to the stereo and the amp. Also installed a 2 bank charger. The stereo battery can run down and not have any effect on the starting batty. Once the engine fires up it charges both batteries. When sitting on the trailer I run an extension cord to keep the batteries charged up.

dual_batteryISOLATOR.jpg

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
You should be ok if you have a good battery, Isolators and battery switches are excellent options and I think every boat should have them, especially if you spend a lot of time docked. Did not want to get into that can of worms until you know how much power you need. I only thought to remind you that the larger the amp the more juice you use. I run a 9kw generator with a 3 bank battery charger. It depends on your vessel.