Raymarine autopilot EV100

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmitchell5188

Seaman
I'm looking at the EV100 autopilot from Raymarine. The steering unit that I have has a pump capacity of 8.3 cu in. The pump with the EV100 is a type 0.5. The range of capacity for this pump is a maximum of 9 cu in.

the boat is a 21' with a 150hp Yamaha. It weights around 5000 pounds.. Anyone have any expect with this autopilot? It has been suggested that I consideration the EV 200. That's a lot more money thank the EV100.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is the primary need? Typical water conditions?

tmitchell5188

Seaman
I'm going to use it mainly for trolling at speeds from 1-3 MPH. Rarely used for cruising. Water conditions might vary, but for trolling, I prefer to troll with the wind and not fight a head wind. Maybe 1' to 3'. Too much more than that, I'm usually heading in. I can handle rougher, but some of the crew get a little "green" if conditions get much worse.

Usually with trolling, the autopilots that I've had in the past are used to maintain a course with minor adjustments of a few degrees. But I have used the feature to add 10 degrees to adjust my course, but again, probably 90% of the time it'll be below 3 MPH.

Hope that helps.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Slow trolling is tough on an AP. Throw in wind, wave and tide and you will not be happy with an EV-100. A EX-200 is marginal if your boat weights as much as you say.

We trolll anywhere from 11-20 rods so the our tolerance for wonder is small. Your maybe larger.

From experience, size the helm then go one size larger with the pump to get the response time needed

tmitchell5188

Seaman
I run 8 rods max. Probably only 3 most of the time. I'll be fishing solo a lot of the time. I'll give this more thought. The big hold up is the extra $1k difference in price. It may come down to the EV100 or a bungee cord.

Than

tmitchell5188

Seaman
I should probably point out that when I bought the boat it came with the S1000 autopilot. The lower limit for the speed is around 2.7 mph. Trolling at 2.7 -3.0 it might hold the course. When going faster up on a plane, which probably requires more power in the pump, it will hold a course. I troll at 1 mph a lot of the time for walleye and the S1000 can't hold a course.

I also troll with a 9.9hp kicker connected to the big motor. So when the autopilot is running, it's steering the 2 motors with only the 9.9hp running.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
I should probably point out that when I bought the boat it came with the S1000 autopilot. The lower limit for the speed is around 2.7 mph. Trolling at 2.7 -3.0 it might hold the course. When going faster up on a plane, which probably requires more power in the pump, it will hold a course. I troll at 1 mph a lot of the time for walleye and the S1000 can't hold a course.

I also troll with a 9.9hp kicker connected to the big motor. So when the autopilot is running, it's steering the 2 motors with only the 9.9hp running.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... In My experience, an AP won't hold a course at those speeds, especially in any wind/ current,.....

My Sport Pilot+ won't hold a course at anything under 4 or 5 mph,... The faster I go, the better it'll hold a course,...

tmitchell5188

Seaman
I had the sport pilot+ before I got my 1st AP with a pump. There is no comparison. Trolling with the winds and waves I was able to troll down to 1mph. Going into the wind was a little more interesting.

My main problem with the sport pilot+ was the clutch. I had it repaired twice before I gave up on it.

tmitchell5188

Seaman
Any idea of what the return policy at West Marine is? The associate at West told me that the EV100 should work. Since I already have the same pump installed, all I would need to do is hook up the pump and power to try it. I would not need to use the new pump.

Captrichie12

Recruit
Are you evaluating a single, or double engine outboard autopilot, or a sail autopilot with keel adjust hydraulics? Also need size, engine, etc to help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you evaluating a single, or double engine outboard autopilot, or a sail autopilot with keel adjust hydraulics? Also need size, engine, etc to help.

Who cares? The thread is 2 years old and the OP's last visit was shortly after.

You should read the thread - All the answers are above.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.