Change from LPG fridge to electric

Kamahele

Seaman Apprentice
We currently have an LPG fridge on our boat, which we would like to change to an electric. I would appreciate any wizardly comments about my calculations and design. (Consider that we use the boat only during summer months, and we spend 2-3 days “in the wild” where we don’t have access to shore power.)
  1. There is a website that lists the average KWH/year for small AC electric fridges ranging from 110-150. My simple-minded approach is to divide that by 365, giving a range of 0.3 - 0.5 KWH/day (let’s use 0.5/day ).
  2. So 0.5 KWH/day = 42 AH/day at 12 volts (0.5/12*1000). We also need about 13 AH/day for lights, pumps and misc. That means total 55 AH/day.
  3. We have two 110 AH 12 V lead acid batteries that when fully charged should theoretically be able to power 55 AH/day for up to 4 days (110*2/55=4). (I know about Peukert’s law, but don’t know how to factor it in.)
  4. We have a 900 watt inverter (but may need to get a bigger one to deal with the fridge’s compressor start-up amp draw). Assuming 85% efficiency of the inverter in the above calculation we would get more like 3.4 days power for the fridge -- call it 2-3 days.
There are several ways we can recharge the batteries:
  1. We have a 100 watt solar panel, so assuming +/- 5 hours of sun/day, that would put +/- 42 amps into the batteries per day (100/12*5= 42).
  2. Running the motor while cruising every other day or so for 2-3 hours would recharge the batteries (but not sure how much…how can I find out the charging capability of the motor’s alternator?). The only reliable way to recharge in the wild would be to idle the engine for a while if we are not moving (we don’t have a separate generator).
  3. We would be connected to shore power every few days, which our battery charger would use to fully recharge the batteries.
Also, is a simple volt meter good enough to monitor the batteries? At what voltage should I get concerned and start the engine to recharge the batteries? 11 or 11.5?
Any help would be great. I know this is simplistic, but I have to start somewhere.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Unlikely a small fridge is going to consume only 0.5KWH/day.

Just so you know, a 100W solar panel will likely only put out around 6A or less. They are rated at 17V or so. If you have 5 hours of sun @ 6A = 30A. You lose around 15% when charging so that brings you down to 25.5A/day.

Also, you should never discharge your deep discharge batteries over 50% which is around 12V or so.

I would get a fridge that operates on 12V already. Unless you buy a true sine wave inverter, the compressor will not last long. Also, an inverter is not 100% efficient, more like 85% so you are wasting a lot of power.

I would not buy a thermoelectric fridge. They are very inefficient. Probably twice the power of a compressor type.

battery.png

Last edited: